I haven't even used this hatchery yet but I could see I wasn't going to like the stand. I was watching an old video of @cory talking about brine shrimp and he had this huge upside down pyramid shaped hatchery and he'd built a stand for it out of PCV pipe. I thought, that's a good idea and I'm sure I can do that. So here it is.

stand.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/24/2020 at 10:58 AM, Robin said:

I haven't even used this hatchery yet but I could see I wasn't going to like the stand. I was watching an old video of @cory talking about brine shrimp and he had this huge upside down pyramid shaped hatchery and he'd built a stand for it out of PCV pipe. I thought, that's a good idea and I'm sure I can do that. So here it is.

stand.jpg

that is pretty cool, making me rethink copying Randy's mounting idea.....

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Look at what I built!

Thanks @Robin for the idea, and for the video, @Cory

Without the idea, I wouldn't know what to do with this thing. Santa brought this for Christmas, and I wouldn't have known how to empty out my Brine Shrimp. Like Cory said, the stand is stupid! Without the video, I honestly wouldn't have known how to build it by just looking at your picture. I'm literally the opposite of a DIY person.

Thanks to you both!

IMG_3321.JPG

• Like 2

On 1/12/2021 at 1:02 AM, Frost said:

Has anyone else made this out of 1" pipe instead of 3/4"? it's... really snug. Not sure if the handle could break but I'll try to remember to report if mine ever does, so far so good though

The thing that I would be worried about with going with 1" pvc, is that you'll need to clean/rinse the pitcher out after each hatch. Don't get me wrong - this thing is pretty tough, and durable. However, I wouldn't want to risk anything due to having to take it off the pvc all the time for maintenance.

• 6 months later...

Nice work !!! Did you (or anyone) happen to put together a material list??

Example :

Qty 8 ---- 3/4" x 3/4" x 3/4" pvc black fittings for corners.

Qty 4 ---- 3/4" x ??" Pvc black pipe

Qty 8 ---- 3/4" x ?? Pvc black pipe

Suggest hand fit, do not glue !!

If no one has the dementions I'll put something together when I build mine in a couple of weeks.

All parts are available on Amazon in various colors. The pipe comes in 3 pieces 3/4" x 40" pvc black pipe. You should be able to build the stand from the above listed parts and thus save materials and costs.

Note: Remember the taller the stand the easier it maybe to tip over. Ouch, that would smell good the next day, lol

Food for thought: you'll need a stand tall enough, to house a container for draining your hatch into when it's all done. 

Agree with the no glue. Pulling the hatcher out of the stand sometimes needs some wiggle room with your stand....and/or putting the hatcher back in.