What would you do with these tanks? Fluval Spec V 5 gal and a 6 gal cube

missriss126

Thanks to the winter storm that rolled through Texas last week, I lost both my betta and my pea puffer, leaving me with two uninhabited tanks.

The 6 gal cube is lightly planted with some anachris, anubias attached to driftwood, banana plant, duckweed.

The Fluval Spec V is now empty save for some rock and all the ramshorn snails that survived what my pea puffer could not. Clean slate here! I know there are a ton of people with super cool nano set ups, and I would like to join the ranks, or at least try!

So, brain storm with me! If these were your uninhabited tanks, what would you do?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, James Black said:

I have really been wanting some killifish lately, defnetley a underated fish. Some scarlet badis would also be cool. I would defentley get another betta, one of my favorite fish.

Heres what my spec 5gallon looks like. If you add co2 the montecarlo wil carpet.

image.png

I love how simple this design is! I love betta's too, and was thinking of doing a betta in the spec and maybe something else in the cube, the cube is in my bedroom and my spec is at my desk. I don't do co2 but I could probably get some thick crypts or something going on.... Great inspo! What do you have over the output to reduce the flow? looks like a basket from a plant?

51 minutes ago, missriss126 said:

I love how simple this design is! I love betta's too, and was thinking of doing a betta in the spec and maybe something else in the cube, the cube is in my bedroom and my spec is at my desk. I don't do co2 but I could probably get some thick crypts or something going on.... Great inspo! What do you have over the output to reduce the flow? looks like a basket from a plant?

Yep thats exactly what it is! I zip tied some panty hose cut to size, and figured the flow was still too much. So I went looking and found a pot, used it and its been working. 

Others have just put intake filter sponges on the outake.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 1:10 PM, JamesB said:

Yep thats exactly what it is! I zip tied some panty hose cut to size, and figured the flow was still too much. So I went looking and found a pot, used it and its been working. 

Others have just put intake filter sponges on the outake.

I ended up cutting a slit in some extra sponge and used that to reduce the flow! 

Ended up doing bettas for both tanks. I love them and you can’t go wrong with an awesome betta. 

• Like 1