Emika_B

Aloha all,

I’ve got a 5 gallon that’s just screaming to be planted and occupied again.  I believe it’s a Fluval Spec, though I removed the the filter false back.  Yeah, that means there’s a few inches that have a patterned effect but, eh, doesn’t bother me.

So, on the the choices.  Would you pick:

1 Betta and snails (maybe cherry shrimp)

1 pea puffer (snails and/or shrimp as the big tank has extras)

6 strawberry rasboras and cherry shrimp.  Pygmy cories?

It’ll most likely be in the bedroom but I really want it in the dining room.  I’d thought about the kitchen but I have a feeling the vibrations from opening, closing drawers and cabinets would drive the fish crazy.

The betta fish would be my choice. The only thing I don't like about the fluval spec for bettas is the flow. You can always put a intake filter sponge on the outake. Or I just got some panty hose, cut it to size and ziptied it on. it has worked well. I have a betta on my dresser in the same fluval spec and the doors don't seem to bother him. I just make sure not to slam it shut. 

I wouldn't do any shrimp, the filter would suck them all up.

I like the pea puffer idea as well. I would also suugest to have a colony of snails or shrimp for the puffer to constantly hunt. They are shoaling fish but can be kept thriving by them selves. I would just add something for him to hunt as entertainment. Something like mystery snails would a good fit because he cant eat the adudlts (there too big) but the constant amount of babies the puffer will have.

Another idea would be to do a Killifish trio. Have 2 females and 1 male. You will probably see some eggs, you can choose to remove those and put those in another 5 gallon or you can seee if the killifish will raise them themselves.

My favorite killifish are clowns, orange australe

Edited by James Black
  • Like 1

All those options sound awesome! Having only had kept a betta and pea puffers the puffers wins in my book. I just love the way they helicopter around the tank and are quite personable. I also feed  them snail and extra shrimp from my other tanks and its really entertaining to watch them hunt them down. However it being a smaller tank and if you choose to put it in the kitchen or dining room a constant temperature might be harder to maintain. In that case id recommend white cloud mountain minnows and some cherry shrimp. Its one of my favorite tanks and one of the first ones i experimented setting up without a heater. 

• Like 1

I would decide this way:

If it is in a high traffic place where you don't spend a ton of time being still I would go with the betta.

If it is in an area where you can sit and really WATCH, but you won't be backlit, go with the puffers. I dearly wish my puffers were on my desk, these days. I don't see them from across a room, I need time with them on eye level to really appreciate them.

A betta lives in my kitchen. I keep his food in a cabinet, and he begs at the front of the tank when I open and close doors. Positive reinforcement for a bold fish can work.

• Like 2

James Black - I removed the filter and false back - just didn’t like it.  I plan on using a sponge filter.

I’m really leaning toward the pea puffer - they’re just so...weird.  I’ve had both a betta and a puffer before (not in the same tank) and enjoyed both.  Still, the puffer just seemed to have more something.

Yeah, definitely depends on the placement, whether you'll be mostly seeing it at a distance or up close.

I have both a betta and a pea puffer and, I gotta say, I like my pea puffer more. But this would be a fine tank for a betta if you went for that.

Just to throw out one wild suggestion: Opae ula shrimp! No water changes, no heater, no filter, only feed once a month and top off with distilled water. They're brackish, so you'll need a little marine salt, and you won't be able to use normal aquarium plants, but a 5g like that would be paradise for them, especially if you creatively hardscaped it.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jennifer V said:

I'm partial, but I vote for puffers since I'm currently obsessed with mine. But I have read that because they're shoaling fish, one puffer in a tank isn't ideal. That may be anecdotal though. 

I would argue that puffers are a little more busy in social groups than have been reported, also, though shoaling may be a stretch.

I suspect that reports of aggression come from unbalanced groups--I have a little harem of 4 in a 7.5 gallon. I started them in a bigger tank, but after seeing how they behaved I downsized them into a more heavily planted smaller tank. I have one male and 3 females, and it is perfect. I think a harem works really well, but if the ratio were reversed I can imagine a thunderdome. I suspect that people who cannot sex puffers are having the problems. I wouldn't have had such good luck but I am near the co-op and they have been really helpful. They did their best to get me the exact gender ratio I requested, without any guarantee, but I was very lucky and it is perfect. I LOVE the male the most probably because he is more colorful and has a ton of attitude.

I also love my betta Piglet though. He is much bolder, in color and behavior. But not as intelligent....He's...pretty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pea puffers are reallyyyy cool!!  It's hard to resist those helicopter bodies! 🚁

I've only ever had bettas...but I would definitely expand into pea puffer territory in a heartbeat if given the chance (aka the next dollar per gallon tank sale 😜...don't tell my husband).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Betsy said:

Pea puffers are reallyyyy cool!!  It's hard to resist those helicopter bodies! 🚁

I've only ever had bettas...but I would definitely expand into pea puffer territory in a heartbeat if given the chance (aka the next dollar per gallon tank sale 😜...don't tell my husband).

Oh I know! I have my puffers but I already ordered a 5g "for them" and am anxiously awaiting another sale so I can secretly buy I bigger tank as well. 

@Emika_B thanks for posting! Getting so many ideas for my next tank! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kirsten said:

Just to throw out one wild suggestion: Opae ula shrimp! No water changes, no heater, no filter, only feed once a month and top off with distilled water. They're brackish, so you'll need a little marine salt, and you won't be able to use normal aquarium plants, but a 5g like that would be paradise for them, especially if you creatively hardscaped it.

Kirsten - You’re brilliant!  Living in Hawaii, I don’t know why I didn’t think of opae ula shrimp.  I would never have thought of giving them 5 gallons, but I love it!  One of my local pet shops carries them and I always watch them scuttling about their tank.

On to the research!

• Like 1