Not happy with the customer service

Jimmy Cleveland

Let me start by saying you can't even message Cory or at least I cannot to let him know what's happened so I guess I just have to explain it here. After this it probably wouldn't even matter if this was deleted and I was kicked from The Forum. All I wanted was a plant to grow for my guppy fry. But I was not offered an option for replacement all I got was a refund so I guess I'll just have to look elsewhere. This was supposed to be my message to Cory but it will not let me message him

Hello. I placed my first order with your company because I've been watching you for a few months on YouTube and you have some products that I would like to try. Well I ordered last Sunday on February 14th there was a delay in shipping due to the weather. Once I seen the delay I brought it to the attention of someone at aquarium Co-op website they insured me if there was a problem they would make it right. Well I just received the order and the plant was dead just as I suspected. My biggest problem is I did not want a refund I was never asked if I wanted a refund or replacement I guess it's just cheaper for you guys to refund my money. I guess I will just have to purchase my plants somewhere else because all I wanted was some plans so my guppies had somewhere to breed for the fry to go. I guess your company could not provide that service for me nor even try to make it right with me just to make it right with your company I appreciate your dedication to the Hobby I really do but I cannot be happy with purchasing from your company. The short of it I just wanted to let you know what had happened and I was not even given the option 

20210223_153751.jpg

• Sad 1

I don't work for aquarium co-op, I'm just another customer.  I am just curious why you would be upset with a refund rather than a replacement with the weather going on across the country?  I'd have thought giving you a refund and letting you re-order a little later when things are warmer and your plant wouldn't die a 2nd time due to shipping delays that aquarium co-op has no control over  would be the best way to go for everyone involved.  A lot of people lost live plants AND animals in this mess.  USPS won't even accept live animals in the seattle area right now until things improve.  Just something to think about that may make you feel better.

• Like 16

It is pretty known that the co-op has grown in scale over the years. Mr. Cory is probably busy with expanding the company and improving it. From what I can gather, you were not given the option for a replacement, you should probably contact them (the shipping team) about getting a replacement and them charging you again for what they refunded you for. Which is basically just getting a new order.  Nobody is perfect, just reach out and they'll try to make things right. 

• Like 4

I would try and plant that. Healthy roots are what you're really paying for when you buy plants. That might bounce back. If it doesn't, well you got your money back for it. It's typical for vendors not to offer a choice between replacements and refund, but in the weather that's been going on across the country, I could see why a refund makes more sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Hello James,

The best method of communication is via our customer service. If you wanted the plant to be reshipped, I recommend you state that when talking with customer service. . We responded with a refund 9 minutes after you sent an email in. We didn't even ask for proof that the plant wasn't in good shape.

The email of "The plant just got here and it's dead" doesn't really tell us the direction you'd like to go. In an effort to make it right with the customer, we refunded the plant no questions asked. 945447245_Screenshot_2021-02-23Contactuson02232021at1438.png.767e2d2e7f441e3126d2dbd9b22df344.png

If you'd like another water sprite sent out, simply reach out to our customer service and that can be arranged. I do apologize that USPS delayed the delivery of your order. We try to make this experience as simple as possible and don't ask customers to file a claim with usps for the damaged product.  You are free to shop with whomever you'd like, if you'd like us to ship another water sprite out we can, we'll invoice and send it out.  As always I will talk with our customer service team and see how we can better serve our customers.

Thanks for shopping with us,

Cory

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Jimycle said:

Cory I did send a photo the same photo I've published here. No big deal. I will just have to find a plant

You are correct, my apologies for not seeing the download file link.

I know it doesn't help in this case, but I've ordered plants from 4 online vendors - the Co-op's packaging was head and shoulders above the others (and they were also big name plant companies).   While you're currently unhappy - I'd give them another chance.  From the other vendors you're likely to get a plant wrapped in wet newsprint in a plastic bag.  There may be a heat pack, but it probably will not be in an insulated bag like the co-op.  

Watching how shipping has been since thanksgiving (already high shipping volumes due to covid) - it's even more clear that what seem to be unrelated weather/delays in another part of the country - impact everything.  When that shipping system gets backed up for a large region - it backs up EVERYTHING.  

• Like 3

Let's say you ordered one plant that cost $7 and it died and you received a refund for $7. You have to make a minimum purchase of $14.99, so you have spend more money on the next order to get the plant you originally wanted. Hardly seems fair. It would leave a bad taste in my mouth also if I was just given a refund. 

• Like 1

I say this completely respectfully, but I think this can be a learning experience for both parties. If the customer reached out in an appropriate manner/time frame with a legitimate issue, I truly don't believe the onus is on the customer to necessarily spell out how he wants the issue corrected. The customer may not really even know the best solution. Rather, I feel it is the ethical responsibility of the business to provide options for correcting the issue. (Provided it is a legitimate issue.) The business may provide an option or options that the customer may not have even thought of, that would best facilitate correcting the initial issue. While a "no-questions asked" refund sounds great on paper, perhaps "questions asked" would be best. Assumptions aren't necessarily best, and executing an assumption can give the customer a sense that they have no say in the matter.

With that being said, if the customer has a specific resolution in mind, I do feel that could be (and probably should be) mentioned in the initial correspondence. Furthermore, if you were not happy with the refund gesture in good faith, I feel that could've (and should've) been handled direct with the vendor, rather than posting on a forum.

Edited by quikv6
  • Like 1

I’m sorry that you had a bad experience. I started ordering from the Co-Op after watching cory’s YouTube as well. I have always been impressed with my shipments. Even had a plant replaced when mine just withered and died after some discussion with customer service. 

I think something that needs to be pointed out here is that @Cory did respond to you here, admitted a mistake he made in his response to you here, and did not have your response removed from the forum sponsored by his company. I believe him to be an honest and reputable business man who keeps things as open and transparent as possible. The last week went far beyond anybody’s expectations, trust me I live in Texas. Mistakes happen from time to time, but the effort was made to make things right with little effort on your part. I’m sorry it’s not what you necessarily wanted, but still a lot more than you may have gotten from many other places. 

• Like 6

You got a dead plant... and immediate refund... And you are here bitching about it... All I can say is.... try some other sellers...   See if you get that kinda treatment.....

Cory... the friggin BOSS.... responded to you....  you got your money back..  you were apologized to..  If that's not enough for you...  

Sorry, I'm from Jersey and have no filter...

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

I have to chime in here.. first of all, bro I will send you some water sprite. Give me your address and I will send you a mountain of water sprite. I live over an hour away from the coop and they're service is the main reason why I come back. They are all the nicest people ever. A real gem to the hobby. They are always customer first, I know firsthand. Obviously things go wrong, but it's important to be patient. It's unfortunate what happened, but forsure they care about you being happy. Don't let this be the reason, continue to buy from aquarium co op.

Joe

• Like 3

@JimycleI know your purpose of posting here was to get your customer service issue resolved, but I just wanted to say I'm sorry about your plant dying. Hope your guppy fry are doing okay and you get your issue resolved soon. Please post a picture of your awesome guppies on the forum when you get a chance so we can check 'em out! 

• Like 2

@Jimycle as a perpetual cheerleader, I need to unnecessarily chime in. I know you're frustrated but it's unlikely that coop had anything but your best interest in mind. I've had "failures" in my short time in the hobby -- whether that may be my own doing or otherwise -- and have always found coop to be responsive, understanding and immediately accommodating. Give it another try. You won't regret having such a valuable resource or center for supplies. I hope the responses you find here will prove that and ease your anxiety about the issue. 

• Like 1

As a practical matter, the two things that resulted in receiving a dead plant are the two things that the seller has no control over, the weather and the shipper. 

They could use another shipper if too many orders are delayed, but none are going to be 100% 

Overall I'd bet their success rate is very good.  The actual percentage is what matters. If it's low and are striving for zero, then they are doing a good job. How they handle problems is also a good sign of well managed company. Looks like you did not get the run around which is typical.

Finally, you can't just go by anecdotal cases. I happened to have the same plant included with my Co-Op order on the same week as yours. I live in one of the coldest parts of the country. My plant arrived safe and sound, no problems at all. I was actually surprised there were no causalities. 

The thing is they do shipping by one way only - priority mail. I'm assuming that saves them a lot of time, and that's how they always get in-stock shipments out same day or next day. Normally, priority mail is 2-4 days, but as we all know the shipping industry has had quite a few issues in the last year. Other vendors will ship express mail or FedEx, but you have to pay dearly for that. I've ordered plants from no less than 5 vendors. A-C is by far the best quality, the best packaged, and at a fair price, but they can't do anything about the weather or the USPS, and anything shipped live comes with a risk of being dead when it gets there. I hope your sprite bounces back - the roots seem to look ok!

• Like 2

First world problems. The value the Aquarium Co-op team provides from their youtube videos alone is worth an entire years worth of shipping mistakes before I would abandon them. They have taught many of us, free of charge, all that we know about the hobby. That knowledge then has saved me literally hundreds of dollars in potential fish keeping mistakes. Not to mention, this forum and the value it provides. From the way I see it, getting a dead plant and then a refund??? Sounds like you can just watch a few more of their livestreams for free and call it even.

• Like 4

This has been pretty well covered, but there's one issue I don't believe anyone addressed.  Several times you indicated that you're unhappy with not being able to message @Corydirectly.  I'm curious why you seem to think you should be able to.  Do you contact Jeff Bezos if you have trouble with your Amazon order?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Probably an unpopular thing to say, but I can actually understand both sides of this. I think it was just a freak unfortunate situation that occurred. I don’t think either side is really at fault, but 2 rights can equal a wrong in some cases. Just life I guess.

Hopefully, the original poster gives the Co-Op a second chance down the line, given their reputation. I’m sure that order will go as smooth as silk.

Feel free to skip over this next part, just reminded of a situation I was in years before the pandemic.

I had made an order with a pretty reputable company. I don’t know how big of a company they are, but their reputation seems on par with the Co-Op’s. As in, they carry quality products, they try to do things ethically, and they keep environmental impact in mind. Their owner even does talks with fish clubs I learned here recently. They are generally praised on youtube from the tiniest channels to channels as large as Rachel O’Leary. Even AC’s own Jimmy (who I’m a big fan of) mentions them on several vids. I really wanted to like them.

Anyway, I’m disappointed with the order, but months later I don’t really hesitate ordering from them again based on reputation. Second order experience was a cluster... I will not order from there again.

I feel like the original poster is getting a little heat from sharing his experience. I feel like I would too if I named the company. Neither side is “out” anything from the transaction. The customer isn’t losing anything shopping elsewhere and the Co-Op gains new fans and customers everyday. Again, I hope the OP gives the Co-Op another shot down in the future.

Sorry for the long post!

• Like 2

500,000 lives lost to covid-19 in the US alone. Millions of lives turned upside down. Thousands of small businesses lost forever. And then there's Charles and Susie Clapsaddle losing hundreds, if not thousands of fish and years of selective breeding. And here's a hullabaloo about customer service complaint about a dead plant and a refund instead of a replacement?!

Edited by MJV Aquatics
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JettsPapa said:

This has been pretty well covered, but there's one issue I don't believe anyone addressed.  Several times you indicated that you're unhappy with not being able to message @Corydirectly.  I'm curious why you seem to think you should be able to.  Do you contact Jeff Bezos if you have trouble with your Amazon order?

You may have just made Cory's day by comparing him to Mr. Bezos. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2