I need help!

Ramba Bamba

Hey guys, I need some help. I have a 75 gallon aquarium. I had 15 rainbow shiners with 6 rainbow gobies, 3 yo yo loach , 2 sterbai corydoras, 1 rainbow shark(he’s about 2”)and 6 micro Taiwanese dragon gobies. In the past month or two that I’ve had my shiners they have been dying one by one. I would wake up and check on the tank and there would be one dead on the prefilter foam... there were 15 then 14 then 13 and now I’m down to 9. Water parameters are as follows. 20 ppm nitrates, 0 ppm nitrites, <1ppm ammonia, 20-30 ppm carbon dioxide, 75 degrees F. I have pretty hard water here in Montana. The TDS is about 147 ppm. I have an aquaclear 110 and two powerheads with a Venturi system set up to add air. So what could be killing my little guys??

Well, I’m too new to keeping them to say. Our tank is at 65-degrees F. But I’ve lost one or two like you describe. I notice that they tend to majorly freak out when startled. Sometimes a fast movement, or a sudden light change really makes them crash into things. We started with 40, but are down to about 30. Water is changed 2x per week. All test measures are really fine. They eat well, accepting a variety of live, frozen and flake foods. Not really sure. Can you make a video and post it? @WhitecloudDynasty has more experience, and was able to point out a few things from videos I made of mine that I hadn’t really paid much attention to. 

• Like 2

Depending on where you got the from, my first stock of rainbow was very very fragile. This family I build up alot hardier but still fragile compared to my white cloud.

From your setup there's 2 thing I dont like and it both hurt DO - Dissolved Oxygen. Water molecule have a limit amount of space so if you add co2 itll push out more oxygen and with high temp oxygen escape the water much faster. Rainbow shiner like to have very high dissolved oxygen, when I do my normal water change they'll all be gasping at the surface for air since my well water is lower in DO. 

Instead of a powerhead try a very powerful air pump with small to fine bubble, ill make a huge difference.

• Like 2