JaredL

So I recently purchased and installed a Penn Plax Cascade 700 for my 29gal.

The flow is a little strong for my liking unfortunately. I have installed the spray bar to spread out the output flow. I also pointed the spray bar slightly upwards as that seemed to help slightly.

There is a ball valve on the output from the canister that I thought I could partially close, but I still can't reach my desired flow without closing it more than halfway. I have concerns about the strain on the motor or seals of the unit by doing this.

The question: Does anybody have experience or suggestions on whether it is acceptable to partially close the output valve to reduce flow? Any other ideas to reduce the flow?

• Administrators

You could point it towards the back wall, this will diffuse the flow quite a bit. The other option is to drill the holes larger. This works like putting your thumb on the end of a garden hose. If your thumb blocks the end, it's powerful, take if off/make the hole bigger and the flow is the same but not as much pressure.

Awesome! I'll try changing direction and see if that works. If not, I'll borrow that hole saw Dean used for the fish room drain! Haha

This forum saves me again! Pointed spray bar at the back and a little bit up and it's perfect! So simple. Thanks again Cory!

Edited by JaredL