Beginner..Java Fern turning Black

Hi I have some Java fern in my 125 Gallon Aquarium for 2 weeks now, as I am a long time fish keeper, but new to live plants.

The risome is not in the gravel and my lighting is a Fluval 3.0 set on auto 

My Settings: Daylight : RED 18%, Blue 7%, Cold white, Pure White and warm whie is set at 19%

Night is RED 18% Blue is 3% whits are all at 0%

SUNRISE lighting is 0700-0830

Sunset is 1700-1930

light sout sleep at 22:30

Are my plants getting toomuch light? Any ideas? A quick view of my tank..

Thanks

https://youtu.be/zykTYMCpcDU

java1.jpg

java2.jpg

Edited by McShiggityPilot
added photo

I think this is sometimes termed "necrosis" and it indicates a lack of some needed nutrient -- potassium, possibly, or iron. See the graphic attached. Recommended treatment would be dosing weekly with Aquarium Co-Op Easy Green liquid plant fertilizer. Squirt one pump per 10 gallons per week (ca. 12 pumps per week) provided you are doing weekly water changes. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 9.55.53 AM.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fish Folk said:

I think this is sometimes termed "necrosis" and it indicates a lack of some needed nutrient -- potassium, possibly, or iron. See the graphic attached. Recommended treatment would be dosing weekly with Aquarium Co-Op Easy Green liquid plant fertilizer. Squirt one pump per 10 gallons per week (ca. 12 pumps per week) provided you are doing weekly water changes. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 9.55.53 AM.png

My java fern came in with black spots as well. I've been dosing my 10g with one pump of Easy Green a week but am battling nitrates right now (~40). Do I up my water changes and also up the fertilizer? 

1 hour ago, Jennifer V said:

I've been dosing my 10g with one pump of Easy Green a week but am battling nitrates right now (~40). Do I up my water changes and also up the fertilizer? 

How many plants do you have? What sort are they? Photos? Maybe add some plants that feed well on nitrates from the water column. 

3 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

How many plants do you have? What sort are they? Photos? Maybe add some plants that feed well on nitrates from the water column. 

I have five swords, three crypts, dwarf sag and three anubias nana petite in with a java fern so mostly root feeders. What do you think I should add? I have a covered top that came with the kit so I don't think floating plants are an option, are they? 

PXL_20210223_174815279.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210223_174806268.PORTRAIT.jpg

Well, depending on how adventurous you feel... you could try some plants floating in the water column like wisteria, or ludwigia. We use water lettuce and duckweed. But some people consider those “pest plants.” To control where they float, you could make a floating ring using a loop of airline joined by a connector, and just keep floating plants in there. 

• Thanks 1

Well, depending on how adventurous you feel... you could try some plants floating in the water column like wisteria, or ludwigia. We use water lettuce and duckweed. But some people consider those “pest plants.” To control where they float, you could make a floating ring using a loop of airline joined by a connector, and just keep floating plants in there. 

Where is the best place to order water lettuce or duckweed? 

5 minutes ago, Jennifer V said:

Where is the best place to order water lettuce or duckweed? 

Well, first off . . . just FYI some aquarists absolutely HATE duckweed. It is a very difficult plant to get rid of once introduced to a tank. You'll want to be sure that it is something you really want. If you visit your LFS and just ask if they know anyone who has duckweed . . . it just takes a few floaters to kick off a massive float of green. Water lettuce is more of a larger, more stable top-water plant with long roots that grow down. It usually shows up in LFS around pond season. 

• Thanks 1

Well, first off . . . just FYI some aquarists absolutely HATE duckweed. It is a very difficult plant to get rid of once introduced to a tank. 

I think I saw a comment on here about duckweed being the glitter of aquarium plants, which cracked me up but it's not necessarily something I want, although I love glitter. Water lettuce would probably be better for me. Thank you! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a newbie to live plants I made the mistake of buying Java fern in a plastic tube from a box store.  All of those tall leaves got black spots and sprouted small leaves from the edges and then died back.  I have some of the baby leaves that became new plants and the original rysome is SLOWLY growing new leaves.  I think it was grown out of water and had to transition to underwater.  But if I knew it would take this long I wouldn’t have bought them.  
I love my Anubias and crypts and have have had great luck growing Valisinsria and hornwort. And Hornwort floats nice.  The Val gets nice and tall.

• Like 1