Add Wonder Shell?

Knew tooth is

In my 10-gal, medium planted tank are 3, Julii Corydoras and, just recently,  a total of 10 nerite snails - up from the original 4. I was wondering whether Wonder Shells should be added. In searching the Forum, others have reported that if the water is hard, then there is really no need to add the Shells- with the proviso that amounts of Ca2+ and other elements are not known. Others have reported spikes in hardness following Wonder Shell addition, with recommendations of repeated water changes to lower the hardness of this detrimental environment. Also noted is Cory's recommendation re the amount of Wonder Shell addition, which is far less than the amount specified on the package. In the present case, the water parameters are: 75 degrees temp, KH 4 drops (71.6 ppm; API assay), GH 8 drops (143.2 ppm; API assay), pH 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10 ppm (API assay). Thanks.  

The plants will use the minerals, too, which is why you'll see a gradual softening of the water if you don't change it out. But those levels sound pretty good to me to keep both snails and cories happy. I wouldn't want to harden it up much more for the sake of the cories.

Keep an eye on the snail shells and add more calcium if you start to see any holes. Or you can add a small piece of cuttlebone weighed down with a plant weight to supplement their diet without strongly affecting the water.

Edited by Kirsten