An Aquarist's Journey

On 4/11/2021 at 5:47 PM, H20CultureLabs said:

@Anita 

ありがとうございますア二タ先輩!こと立山知らなかった、今私はしります!これcrayfish名前の立山富山にです。

(Thank you very much Anita-senpai, I did not know about Kototateyama, but now I do! This crayfish is named for Mt. Tateyama in Toyama.)

あんたの幹事上手ですよ!私の幹事は上手じゃありません。

(Your kanji is skilled! I am not very skilled in Kanji)

So much fun to type some 日本語 in this forum!

初めまして @H20CultureLabs!敬語を良く分かりますね!でも、上下関係の事を困りましたね。アメリカの名前そのだけ下さい。

MicrosoftのIMEキーボードは漢字を上手に出来ます。日本語や英語で書道をまだ下手で書きます。どうぞ宜しくお願い致します。

[Nice to meet you @H20CultureLabs! You are so polite! But giving me a title is a little embarrassing. Please use my American name without the honorific.

Microsoft’s IME keyboard is skillful at writing kanji. My handwriting is poor, in Japanese or English. Warm regards.]

琴立山  Kototateyama [Zither-like Standing Mountains]

koto-tateyama.gif.3653e39ebffce900dd35242914987979.gif

Edited by Anita
  • Like 2

Here's a fun project from tonight, let's build a worm farm!

In one of my shrimp tanks, I have a huge population of detritis worms. Since the Elassoma and the Badis love them so much, I've decided to culture them. 

Now that I've upgraded my brine shrimp hatcher to the Ziss one, my San Fran Bay one has been sitting idle; no longer! Here's how I repurposed it. 

20210508_194545.jpg

Edited by H20CultureLabs
  • Like 1

I had some Matala mat lying around, and I cut it to fit one of the many "to-go" containers I have lying around. To this I cut a hole in the bottom so the bubbles could find a way out of the media. The idea is the worms will cling to the Matala mat and if I want to remove the culture, I can grab the to-go container and pull all of it out. 

20210508_194557.jpg

20210508_194602.jpg

• Like 2

More wigglers today, they seem to be doing well! I've diluted some of the methylene blue now that the eggs have hatched. 

I made an interesting discovery today. In one of my egg traps, I noticed I was having large amounts of copepods and daphnia in it, which didn't make sense to me since the white clouds and danios in the aquarium should have eaten them all. On closer inspection, I found the source of them; Tateyama the crayfish's pvc pipe cave! You can see in the attached picture the daphnia hanging out just above him. 

For people into making refugium and microfauna, it seems that some fish will not go into tubes to hunt prey, which can act as a sort of incubator for these microfauna. I hope this discovery helps someone else out there!

20210514_080154.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, H20CultureLabs said:

On closer inspection, I found the source of them; Tateyama the crayfish's pvc pipe cave!

Really cool! Do you think the crayfish has anything to do with why the fish won’t go in there?

The mixed Golden White Cloud and CPD wigglers were transitioned from the methylene blue "incubator" into the green water "nursery" today. Lets hope many of them survive. I counted at least 25 at the bottom of the cup; there could be more in there! Every single one of the "black dots" you see are eyes from a single fry. Hard to believe how tiny they are!!

20210516_091634.jpg

20210516_093017.jpg

Edited by H20CultureLabs
  • Like 3

@HobbitThe light is a 60W equivalent cool white LED bulb from the hardware store. I pour in Osmocote, about 15 grams worth, to get the culture going and then add more if it starts to lighten. 

Basically, I do not think it is possible to have too much light for greenwater. 

Edited by H20CultureLabs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1