Nitrite Spike

Lesa

I just added Ich-x and Maracyn to my tank to treat my fish. I did a 75% water change before adding it. After about 30 minutes I decided to check the water and the Nitrite levels are super high. Is the medicine causing it to look that way or is there really that much in there? It should be fine since I did 75% water change, right? What should I do?

Everyone's aquarium is different, but I just went through a high ammonia and nitrite event. I still have highish nitrites. 

My nitrite level peaked at 5 ppm. The fish didn't act stressed, at all. There was no reddening of the gills.

If I were in your position, I would go to the store and get purigen or zeolite, bottled bacteria (I wouldn't use them yet.), and Tetra test strips. Then watch closely.  

I have both the API liquid test kit and the Tetra 6 in 1 strips. For the nitrite test, they match closely. The scale on the strips goes higher.

Edited by Frank

Are you medicating due to an immediate health threat?

I just realized that you only started the medications. If there's no immediate health risk, you might be better off to change water and start medicating after the nitrites and nitrates are brought back down.