So I recently got my second round of cryp's tropical, and wendetii to be specific. And both times they came in looking great. First time I planted and the instantly melted and never grew. Figured I did something wrong as it was my first plant, no big, ill try again. Second one, again comes in beautiful, and now I know it's a heavy root feeder, and is known to melt. So I plant it on top of 3 root tabs, and it all melts away again. Any tips? Love the look but not sure where I'm going wrong. Just give it more time? Keep it in the pot with root tabs to help it convert? Any suggestions appreciated

I know that crypts are notorious for melting. Try buying plants that have really established roots. You are buying the crypts for their roots. If the crypt has good roots, it will grow back in no time. It will melt so just leave it alone and it should grow back. 

Don't toss them out when the leaves melt. They are grown emersed at the growers and need to get their submersed leaves, if you want to speed this process up you can cut back the nice looking but emersed leaves right away to just above the rosette, that will let the crypt focus its strength on rooting (make sure you cut back some of the roots to encourage root growth and anchoring) and development of strong submersed leaves. Crypts love iron and potassium so make sure you have those root tabs around them.

I had just posted some advice regarding this subject with some videos for illustration in another thread yesterday, so you can check these out if you wan (Don't let the title confuse you, I do address the crypts as well)t:

• Thanks 1

I just had an large established crypt melt. It had been planted since last June. Our best guess is a small ph change after removing a piece of driftwood or floating plants getting too thick and blocking the light. After a week, there’s 6-7 new leaves growing.

The point of the story is, leave it alone for a bit and see what happens. As long as the roots aren’t dead, it’ll come back. 

• Like 1

You could have inadvertently moved root tabs when you removed the wood, and as you mentioned the increase in floaters could be cutting off their light. Crypts don't like having their nutrients and the light necessary to process them removed. Whenever something like this happens and they begin to melt,what I do is cut off the existing growth just above the rosette so the plant doesn't waste any more energy on what is dying anyway and within a short amount of time new, and stronger growth emerges, unless something drastic happened to the roots and they are rotting at which point it is time to remove it and dispose of it.