These stem plants, which I do not know the name of, were planted about a month ago. Holes have been developing and are now present in many of the leaves, but the newer leaves appear to be,, at least generally, hole-less (image). In searching, the reason for holes is insufficient K+. But, if this were the case, this plant must be much more sensitive than others in the tank because they do not have holes. Could the leaves be on the way to falling off due to adaptation to the plant being planted in the tank? The water parameters are 75 degrees temp, KH 4 drops (71.6 ppm), GH 9 drops (161.1 ppm), pH 7.8, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20 ppm. My second question has to do with roots sprouting from the stem (image). In searching, I found that this is "normal" or, alternatively found that the sprouting is due to insufficient light, Again, if it were insufficient light, this plant must need quite a bit of light, as the other plants are thriving, Appreciate any comments on these two issues. 

20210222_062248.jpg

20210222_062441.jpg

From the purple underneath its leaves, I would say the plant was lobelia cardinalis. It is beautiful but pretty hard to keep. I think the reason it is dying is just because it's a relatively hard plant to keep. The aerial roots are probably growing because the lower portion of the plant is rotting. 

• Like 1

Lobelia cardinalis submerged is completely light green without any red, also the leaves are well rounded without pointed tips. It could have been a form of Ludwigia, or Scarlet Temple, in the condition the plant is in now it is hard to tell. Lack of light intensity would be my guess,

It could have also been a non-aquatic bog plant sold as an aquarium plant that could not convert to submerse status. You can see quite a few of those in chain pet stores with them counting on the buyer not knowing that the plant will die; although the root shoots at the base of each node would indicate against that.

Edited by Jungle Fan

1 hour ago, Jungle Fan said:

It could have also been a non-aquatic bog plant sold as an aquarium plant that could not convert to submerse status.

This is exactly what I would have guessed. Most likely: "purple waffle" (Hemigraphis exotica).  Very often sold as an aquarium plant, but is strictly a terrestrial plant. The bright purple underside and green leaf top leads me to this conclusion. 

It's a very common "why is my plant dying? Oh, it's not an aquarium plant?" culprit. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. And, apologies for what should have been the obvious. The plant was purchased as a bunch from an on-line establishment that has been in business for quite a number of years and has very good reviews. From the invoice and website pictures, the plant is (apparently) Hemigraphis colorata. The plant has actually been planted for 2.5 months. Attached is a top view and top view close-up of one of the stems (2 images). In the images of this particular stem, the more mature leaves remain intact while the younger, immature leaves at center have holes. Seems to be quite variable which leaves are subject to this ailment. While I appreciate what has been offered thus far, I was wondering if there were any further thoughts. 

20210223_133931.jpg

20210223_133907.jpg

Hemigraphis colorata is the same thing as Hemigraphis exotica, i.e., purple waffle.  It's not a true aquatic plant.  It can do okay for a bit, but eventually will melt like this since it can't be grown underwater.

Edit: Double check the online seller for any disclaimer about being a bog/terrarium plant or the words "semi-aquatic" or similar. They should be clearly labeling it as such. 

Edited by MDoc

MDoc- nothing on their site, but I have now contacted them. From the site of another seller is the following (paraphrased): "excellent decorative plant but duration limited to a few months". Perhaps it is time to pull them from the tank before further decomposition and ensuing troubles. Too bad, as they are uniquely attractive. Thanks for the heads-up. I guess I feel less down in that I didn't waste effort on treatment. But, it also points to the larger issue of tank-appropriate plants. In my naiveté, I assumed that if sold as an aquarium plant it would be a true aquarium plant, and not be limited by a "shelf-life", so to speak. Tells me to be cautious and research the plant potentially intended for purchase, particularly if it seems a bit out of the ordinary. 

• Like 1

Definitely.  There is a lot of misinformation (or rather, not full information) out there.  I know some people put them in for a bit, take pictures, and then pull them out.  They look soooo nice, so it's very tempting to add them. And if a seller doesn't disclose (if they even know at all!), then it's easy to fall into the situation you find yourself.

I have never tried growing it with roots in the water and leaves above, but you could try growing it like you would pothos or lucky bamboo on the top/back of your tank. if it works, it could be an interesting look.  It would at least give it a shot to keep it from just ending up in the garbage/compost heap. 

Regardless, Hopefully the seller makes it right. 👍

MDoc- again, I'm most appreciative of your input, and that of others. Looking for the silver lining, I intend to plant the purple waffle plants in a pot, which will join other indoor potted plants. I can assure you that these other potted plants have never been submersed. The purple waffle is a very attractive plant and it will be satisfying to see it flourish (hopefully) where it has truly adapted over the millions of years. I guess the purple waffle plant will also serve as a reminder of sorts, a story to go along with it: there are water plants, land plants, and everything in-between. In any case, the purple waffle plants have been removed and their removal has provided an additional silver lining: a large area of the tank for new planting, with more careful choices being made. Indeed, it will be interesting to hear what the seller has to say.

• Like 2

Jungle Fan, thanks for the recommendation. From the internet picture of the Echinodorus Red Flame, I may already have one of these plants. Is the one I have the Red Flame (image) to which you refer? Indeed, I do enjoy this plant. I am certainly open to additional recommendations, if you might have some off-hand. Also, thanks for the link to taking care of the Purple Waffle (love the name; makes me hungry, too). I must admit, though, the Waffle appears more striking under water (image). This image is one of the now removed-from-the-tank Purple Waffle plants, for eventual transplantation into its natural, terrestrial world. Sorry images are inverted- not a depiction of a novel way for display and growth of aquarium flora.    

20210223_223008 (1).jpg

20210223_223729 (1).jpg