I have a swordplant (Amazon sword?) that has been established in my tank for approx 3 years. I learned back in September of last year that it really needed root tabs, and once I started doing that it REALLY took off. However, I'm disappointed that I haven't been seeing any runners or "baby" swordplants. I did a decent size pruning last weekend due to all the shade it was creating,  and hoped it would spur healthy new growth, but I'm not seeing anything new (might be a little too early to tell though.)

Is there anything specific I can do to encourage propagation? I saw on a different thread someone recommended cutting the rosette into two and then voila, two plants. I am hesitant to take that approach because it is so happy and well rooted in the tank.

Any tips? I give it Easy Green Root tabs every few weeks and dose the tank with Easy Green (mainly for other plants' benefit.)

Note about the pic: the plant is not rooted in that rock, it is just behind it. Poor perspective.

16139644168261799763926354039771.jpg

The plant looks great! It seems as if you have done pretty much everything. I guess the only thing you could try to do now is to just leave it alone. Try getting some really good light to it and that might encourage it to have some runners. Something I have tried is to try and put the root tabs a little farther away from the mother plant. This will usually encourage something to happen, whether it is longer roots or possibly a runner or two.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yanni said:

Something I have tried is to try and put the root tabs a little farther away from the mother plant. This will usually encourage something to happen, whether it is longer roots or possibly a runner or two.

That's a good idea, I'll try that!

Ok, I hate to even say this...  I have a large sword plant.  It was planted to close to the back glass.  I moved it forward, I didn’t remove from substrate. I just slid it maybe 2 or 3 inches.  Shortly after this the plant started sending up runners like crazy.  I don’t know if there is a connection or not?  I don’t know if the plant went into a survival mode or what.   The heavy pruning you did might have the same affect?   I would wait.  Patients

Good luck 

Swords grow slow so give it some time, with swords growth doesn't usually happen within a week. It will recover, and yes the rosette cleaving also works, it was most likely my post you are referring to. Try not to damage the leaves if you do it as it helps them produce energy for the recovery, and use a sharp knife for a clean cut.  Swords are way more resilient than many give them credit for, and they absolutely need iron and potassium. For right now your sword doesn't look like it needs pruning, or cleaving, it's a nice healthy plant.