Betta acting sluggish and seems out of it.

stowcenter93

Water parameters: 0,0,0

7° KH and GH

Ph 7.2-7.4

Temp 80°

All the parameters are how they have been for months now.

He normally comes and "greets" me at the front, and is very easy to feed. Today, (and maybe yesterday, I was barely home) he is a completely different fish. Lethargic, and is wedging himself between the thermometer where he normally sleeps and just floating there. Even laying on the ground at times, going as far as starting to tilt to one side. He will still swim about in spurts, going up to gulp some air occasionally, or laying on the anubius. He is also responsive to any touch, and will swim away like he normally would.

I fed him, before I realized this, and he ate his pellets as they floated down, even scavenged some off the ground, but he is normally at the surface like a normal pig betta. 

Unsure how I really should proceed or If I should just continue to monitor this.

20210221_175724.jpg

20210221_175641.jpg

20210221_175648.jpg

1 hour ago, Colu said:

It could be a swim bladder problem or so thing else could be going on i would do 50% water change see if that  help and then add aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons and don't feed for 5days

Cant add salt cause of the plants. Rather not kill the pink flamingo lol.

1 hour ago, James Black said:

I don't think its a swimmers bladder. It just looks lazy. What foods are you feeding it? I reccemend the Hikari Betta Bio Gold, Fluval Bug Bites or Freeze Dried/ Frozen Blood worms. All of these foods are high in protein.

Feed all three of those on a schedule lol. Also will feed some vibra bites, cause it's funny to watch him chew them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MN-AQUARIST said:

Maybe this is unrelated but his one eye looks clouded over, if he has the dragon scale trait he could be going blind and maybe that's why he isn't as active? 

So when we got him, he had that appearance. It's one of the reasons we named him Mr. Misfit lol. It did look like he was blind since weve had him. But he had no trouble seeing food on the ground and falling through the water column. I will have to check again 

I had never heard of the dragon scale trait. 

One thing to consider, since he's wedging himself up high is maybe he wants to rest near the surface. You might want to give him a betta hammock (sold at big box stores). My betta was hyper active the first few months and then calmed down and started sitting more. When I saw him trying to sit on the plants, I got him a hammock, and he's always in it. 

You can see it on the right side of the tank, little plastic leaf.

PXL_20210206_233844961.jpg.92372b202f6bf21a25006925b8ae5c9d.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, H.K.Luterman said:

One thing to consider, since he's wedging himself up high is maybe he wants to rest near the surface. You might want to give him a betta hammock (sold at big box stores). My betta was hyper active the first few months and then calmed down and started sitting more. When I saw him trying to sit on the plants, I got him a hammock, and he's always in it. 

You can see it on the right side of the tank, little plastic leaf.

PXL_20210206_233844961.jpg.92372b202f6bf21a25006925b8ae5c9d.jpg

ODDLY ENOUGH. Literally just ordered the floating log for mine hese. I'll have to see how that works.

He always sleeps in those two spots, that's not what was unusual, doing it during the day was. But maybe it is just energy change. I was worried cause was not coming up for food, but was still eating, which was just....odd.

• Like 1

So here is where I'm at. I have him in QT with aquarium salt. I am starting him at 1 tablespoon per 3 gallons  as Level 1. 

He will lay on the bottom, going up every minute or so for a gulp of air. He always like to go up for a gulp, so THAT portion is totally normal. But he is clearly breathing heavier and is slumping/falling to the side on occasion when on the bottom sometimes. 

Up to luck and science at this point. Will update tomorrow.

20210222_224334.jpg

I am wondering if the betta is just old. The betta may have been a few years old when you got him.

I don't think the salt will help as I don't see any issues that would be cured by salt. But you do you. Also don't treat for more then 7 days in a row, it can be dangerous for fish if you do.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, James Black said:

I am wondering if the betta is just old. The betta may have been a few years old when you got him.

I don't think the salt will help as I don't see any issues that would be cured by salt. But you do you. Also don't treat for more then 7 days in a row, it can be dangerous for fish if you do.

Ugh lol. You are probably right. I have no idea how long he was at my LF. He's only been here a few months. 

Real bummer if that's the case, we specifically bought the tank for this fish, since my fiance fell in love with it.

Alas...I'm guess I'm committed to at least an overnight swim in the tank. Idk if I should move him back right now. Seems like unnecessary stress....but what do I know. 

15 minutes ago, stowcenter93 said:

Ugh lol. You are probably right. I have no idea how long he was at my LF. He's only been here a few months. 

Real bummer if that's the case, we specifically bought the tank for this fish, since my fiance fell in love with it.

Alas...I'm guess I'm committed to at least an overnight swim in the tank. Idk if I should move him back right now. Seems like unnecessary stress....but what do I know. 

nah, leave him in the qt tank. If you already have bought the stuff for a salt treatment you I would go ahead with it, I'm not sure how much it will help though.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, James Black said:

nah, leave him in the qt tank. If you already have bought the stuff for a salt treatment you I would go ahead with it, I'm not sure how much it will help though.

Yeah I've had the stuff since I got into the hobby, never needed it until now.

I'm not expecting much in terms of recovery, but worth the hail mary try, it's very clear he's deteriorating in health. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dancing Matt said:

Sorry about your betta, one thing to look at for the future is, does your temp swing at night? My betta got fin rot because my heater couldn't keep up with the night time temperature drop (in winter).

I hope it goes better next time.

Hm... maybe? I've checked on it late at night in the past and it was fine but I had not done any late night checking recently. That would be something id be curious to check. Thanks for the tip!