Jump to content

Anyone got a list of all the guppy deformities?


giantlumberjack
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was thinking of breeding my guppies again but this time i want to do it right. I was searching for a list on everything you should watch out for but i cant find anything on what genetic traits you should cull. Does anyone here have an image or list of some kind about this?

I know bent spines and tumors are some but is that it?

Some of my adults males have this weird puffed up chest, is that one too?

Edited by giantlumberjack
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I recall Cory saying in a video once that guppies can look "chesty" as you described when they are basically growing too fast. It is somewhere in this video: 

I think that info will help you. I am also breeding guppies. So far I have not seen any deformities, just one that has like a split tail which is not what I'm going for aesthetically.  Bent spine... color variations, tail shape... yeah, I can't think of too many other obvious culls. But I am only growing out my F1.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Hm, I haven't heard that, but this Aquarium Co-op podcast episode has an interview with a guppy breeder and she talks mostly about guppies needing thick caudal peduncles. 

https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/aquariumcoop/Ep_48_Cheri_Tenaglia_02_08_19.mp3?dest-id=338491

I would also be interested to hear any other input on guppy breeding: desirable characteristics, common cull issues, etc.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Kat_Rigel said:

Hm, I haven't heard that, but this Aquarium Co-op podcast episode has an interview with a guppy breeder and she talks mostly about guppies needing thick caudal peduncles. 

https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/aquariumcoop/Ep_48_Cheri_Tenaglia_02_08_19.mp3?dest-id=338491

I would also be interested to hear any other input on guppy breeding: desirable characteristics, common cull issues, etc.

Same, would be nice to have a list or just a visual or guidline on this. People say to cull but they never really explain WHAT you need to look out for. The spine is the only thing i know but apparently there are many things you can watch out for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Depends on what you are going for, but here is a small sample of Delta tail guppy male standards.

image.png.6a870dd73e76daffb0e28ed21f6415ef.png 

image.png.510f8ebdd67438130c5325db278280bf.png

image.png.7307a1809402c4b8441806c0dd28e0b7.png

But you really have to be into show guppies to worry about all those details. If it were me, I would breed the one that were attractive to my eye.

Are these guidelines from IFGA?

Edit: d'oh! Just clicked the link, which makes it obvious it is from IFGA 😅

Edited by Kat_Rigel
Saw new info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the things I cull for is tail shape, but I think that is specific to the specific strain of guppy. I have a high suspicion that these ginga rubra guppies were developed by crossing with endlers (although others will swear up and down that they are not,) and I have seen a few offspring with a cleft/split in the tail. Since that's not what I'm going for, I vanish them to the outdoor cull pond (dont worry, I'm in a warmer area and they are not going to freeze to death outside!) I have considered working with those split tails to develop a different trait in the strain, but Im bursting at the seams and have no more space for additional projects.projects.

Tough to get a good pic, but the top one shows the cleft tail. The second shows the normal tail, although its a bit of an optical illusion on the males since they have coloration on the top and bottom of their tail fins.

20201205_084625.jpg

20201010_233901.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kat_Rigel said:

One of the things I cull for is tail shape, but I think that is specific to the specific strain of guppy. I have a high suspicion that these ginga rubra guppies were developed by crossing with endlers (although others will swear up and down that they are not,) and I have seen a few offspring with a cleft/split in the tail. Since that's not what I'm going for, I vanish them to the outdoor cull pond (dont worry, I'm in a warmer area and they are not going to freeze to death outside!) I have considered working with those split tails to develop a different trait in the strain, but Im bursting at the seams and have no more space for additional projects.projects.

Tough to get a good pic, but the top one shows the cleft tail. The second shows the normal tail, although its a bit of an optical illusion on the males since they have coloration on the top and bottom of their tail fins.

20201205_084625.jpg

20201010_233901.jpg

Interesting some of my mutt males also have this split tail.At first i thought it was just damaged but i think they just have endler genes in them.

Also nice guppies btw

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Show standards are artificial, you should breed what looks strong to you.

Agreed. I am trying to get these to show quality (my first such project,) so for now there are a lot of banished guppies that are still quite nice. I would love to start with a wild type or "feeder" guppy and work to develop a strain. Obviously that would be a huge undertaking and honestly might not be possible to create a quality line in my lifetime, but with the understanding that its a "long game" kind of thing with no pressure, I think it would be fun. Randy talks about it on the above mentioned podcast. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, giantlumberjack said:

Interesting some of my mutt males also have this split tail.At first i thought it was just damaged but i think they just have endler genes in them.

Also nice guppies btw

Why thank you! I am learning a lot. Im interested hearing everyone else's experience as well. All I can keep thinking is, "I need more room for more guppies!" But I think that's a common affliction for aquarists. 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...