My stand is off balance. Send help!

Shmaty

Okay, so returning this is not an option, so somehow I need to make this work. Im electrically inclined, not carpentry. Really at a loss for how to rebalance this sucker.

20210220_175556.jpg.ee3d848dd85cfb04050df927d4327942.jpglooks fine until you put some weight on it. Then you realize it's sitting on the back corners and front left only. The front right sits a disturbing amount off the ground. It wobbles but alwayd rests back the same way. Also, it isnt the floor. I've moved it between rooms and the wobble persists regardless of location.20210220_175615.jpg.6233a20fed241e90449e7735e970637b.jpgIm not impressed with the craftsmanship of this stand...in fact i'd like to add some shoring into the inside to help support the 180G it's supposedly made for. Seems awfully sus! Any wood workers have any thoughts?20210220_175719.jpg.ee014aae8540d28b5ad5bc8010967440.jpg There is a part of me that wonders if the weight of the aquarium will right the wood...but I feel like that is NOT the right approach. 

Do you have a 4-foot level to see what is truly level and what is not?  2x4s  of 2x6s (depending on how often you will drop a support to the ground) can certainly be put inside as additional framing but not sure how I would attach them to the existing wood based on how thin it appears.  If I did a frame I would probably try to get the wood tight to the top of the inside and then the columns to the floor of the room rather than the floor of the cabinet (assuming there is a bottom to the cabinet part)

I’m sure the weight of your 6’ tank full of water spread the load around to the entire cabinet frame. However, would everything be level once there was a load on the cabinet? The question I have is; is the cabinet racked or out of square and why.  Try to borrow or buy a square and see where things are off. 
Are you completely sure the problem isn’t with the floor?  I was in the floor covering business for a long time and have seen it all in bad sub-floors and the laminate flooring can hide many problems below. 

I'll get a large level tomorrow and check the stand and the floor as well. 

I know this is almost taboo...but yall think placing a carpet/rug beneath the stand would make any difference? It would help hide the shims if it comes to that. My previous house was carpet throughout so I'm not afraid of it xD

3 hours ago, Streetwise said:

Is it possible to retrofit leveling screws?

My fear with that is the damage it could lead to the flooring. I had thought of that but I would need to use a slew of them to distribute the weight more evenly.

3 hours ago, L.W. Wetarm said:

is the cabinet racked or out of square and why.  Try to borrow or buy a square and see where things are off. 

I'm afraid I dont understand. Racked? Are you asking if each corner is properly 90°? I could find out, hadnt considered that. I'll add that to my shopping list

16 hours ago, L.W. Wetarm said:

Are you completely sure the problem isn’t with the floor?

It pains me to say this, you are right. I assumed since it was having the same issue between multiple locations that it was the stand and not the floor. After buying a level and inspecting the stand and floor it is oddly both. Just my luck eh?

Fortunately, I found a space where the floor and the stand more or less even out. The stand noe sits almost completely level on all planes. I have some shims but i'm going to hold off a week before doing anything more. I have a contractor coming out next week to throw some support beneath the aquarium, going to see if he can help me further level it/floor out. I just purchased this place and I had carpet only previously, so these are new hurdles for me. 

Thanks everyone!

Yeah. I've never lived in house with wood floors. Guess it comes with the nature if things. Carpets have blinded me to the truth haha

Once the guy puts the supports beneath the floor, i'll fine tune the aquarium the rest of the way. Looking forward to getting this up and running. My largest aquarium prior was a 40 breeder, so this is a huge jump for me! 

I would get some levels (at least two, a 2 foot and a 4 foot) and start with the floor.  Place masking tape around the base of the stand on the floor.  Around the location of the tank.  Making sure floor is level.    Try to make all adjustments between floor and stand.  If floor is level, check top of stand prior to putting the tank on stand.  If it isn’t level I would still make adjustments at the floor.  You can make or buy shims.  I recently used black plastic one I picked up at a hardware store.   Once top of stand is level, you should be good.  You can also pick up a roll of a foam insulation or package material.  It is around 1/8 or 1/4 inch thick.  Cut to fit and put between tank and stand.   This will help with minor imprecations between tank and stand.

thanks.