Najas marina

GHSEZG

One of my ponds is about 1/2 covered with what I have identified as Najas marina, or Spiny naiad, spiny water nymph. It is closely related to Guppy Grass. It thrives in extremely hard water. I have been using it in my tanks with Goldfish, White Cloud Mountain Minnows, Mollies and Guppies and they all seem to love it. It grows rooted in the pond but I just float it in the tanks. The fish nibble off the roots faster than it grows floating in the tanks, so I just put a new bunch in every week or so since I have an unlimited quantity available. Would there be a market for this plant? I have seen no sign of it in the aquarium trade.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello from Water Weed!  I think the little fish in my tank  would LOVE to have a spiny hiding place like yours from your pond. Could I buy a start from you?   I used to see it  when I was young but it has bee "cleaned up" so now no ponds around me have it anymore . I always thought it beautiful and helpful for the young fish I'm  glad yo still have it I though it was extinct!