Fishkeeping Injuries

Aquanut

One of my yellow snakeskin guppies managed to get himself tangled up in umbrella grass, looked like it was in his gills. Tried to gently get him off but to no avail.

Plan formed in my mind, get a tub, cut the grass with guppy tangled, put in tub & figure out how to free the poor little guy. Good plan right?

Well cut the grass, guppy shoots off happy to be free at the start of the cut, the end of my cut with the curved scissors went through the skin on my finger! Ouch! Bandaid required.

Guppy completely free & much happier after some daphnia & bloodworm for dinner.

That’s my first fishkeeping injury, thought i’d share as i’m sure we have all got a story to tell. Please share your incidents, injuries or other disasters.

Edited by Aquanut
  • Like 2

Yikes, did the same thing with pruning shears when harvesting eggplant once. I bled all thru the house looking for a bandaid! So far, knock on wood, no fish injuries!

But I did find out fairly dramatically that I am wildly allergic to blood worms, and had to have someone else remove them from the house, and clean my tanks for me for a week or two--my face swelled shut, and I got itchy just standing near my tanks. I am not allergic to anything else as far as I know, so it was a big shock.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

**Warming Graphic Aquarium Injury Photo**

Update: My career as a hand model down the drain due to aquarium maintenance!

20200823_4452.JPG.9de4db8b938ed49f27f09a2c360915e3.JPG

Gosh, @Daniel, that still looks painful.  Was thinking about you the other day when I observed someone slamming their own car door onto their hand accidentally.  Heal up my friend.  

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Aquanut said:

One of my yellow snakeskin guppies managed to get himself tangled up in umbrella grass, looked like it was in his gills. Tried to gently get him off but to no avail.

Plan formed in my mind, get a tub, cut the grass with guppy tangled, put in tub & figure out how to free the poor little guy. Good plan right?

Well cut the grass, guppy shoots off happy to be free at the start of the cut, the end of my cut with the curved scissors went through the skin on my finger! Ouch! Bandaid required.

Guppy completely free & much happier after some daphnia & bloodworm for dinner.

That’s my first fishkeeping injury, thought i’d share as i’m sure we have all got a story to tell. Please share your incidents, injuries or other disasters.

Uh weird how did he even manage to get it in his gills of all places?

• 2 months later...

Anyone familiar with 'egg crate' - the plastic grid stuff usually used as a light diffuser in office buildings? Well it also makes a great lid for tanks that need that air exchange but you don't want jumpers or other escapees (like my paludarium). 

Well the husband was working on cutting some egg crate this evening and he dropped the sheet.

IMG_20201105_212642_836.jpg.ffdcbd501a80dc62faa31007fb1d24a9.jpg

Did I mentioned it has sharp edges when cut?

Maybe he'll  remember to wear a shirt next time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nataku said:

Anyone familiar with 'egg crate' - the plastic grid stuff usually used as a light diffuser in office buildings? Well it also makes a great lid for tanks that need that air exchange but you don't want jumpers or other escapees... Did I mentioned it has sharp edges when cut?

This thing? All my lids are DIYed from the stuff. Sharp as knifes indeed so I dull the edges right after cutting. Not going to say how because the process is potentially a much higher hazard than a couple of skin cuts (ouch). Still keep a bottle of hand sanitizer gel with aloe vera (a miracle cure for small skin injuries) handy, just in case. 1326391553_tanklid.jpg.72cd206ec66c56a55ace2021bd64a415.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No injuries to my person yet, but the hardwood floors aren't so lucky. 

1208042224_Screenshot(35).png.83ccf7259c1be62b9627f38d5bbda995.pngI installed a temporary fishcam on the narrow side of the tank.  A draped hand towel from the tank rim, over the camera  blocks reflections of things behind the camera.  After the last water change I accidentally left a few stray threads from the towel touch the water in the topped off tank.   A couple of hours later I had a small stream of water running across the room and dripping into the basement.  

I've learned a lot about capillary action this year.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I had a really cheap little heater in my first betta tank and one day I forgot to unplug it before the water change. I touched the back of my hand to the heater and OWW!! I’m so glad the betta didn’t swim into it. I had a nice little burn mark for a while. I also became much more diligent about unplugging the heater—but later my betta passed away because I forgot to plug it back in. ☹️