morphy1701

I'm going to get my Electric Blue Acara today and I am giddy with excitement! I know it is silly but I love getting a new fish and watching them grow up. I only have a single tank (a 55) and it is well established so I don't get to buy new fish very often. My shortest lived fish is my Colombian Blue Tetras and they are still 3-5 years so I don't get a lot of turn over. Which is good and bad. I mean, I love watching my fish mature and develop all their own personalities, but new fish are like new puppies! So, yeah, I'm like a kid at Christmas right now. I've never had a EBA, but everyone here spoke so highly of them that I can't wait to see how it goes. I'll post updates.

Cheers!

• Like 6

So, the EBA is doing well. Took him(her?) about 12 hours to figure out where the food comes from. IE, when I get near the tank he is front and center waiting to be fed. I was weak and bought five Serpae Tetras as well. FYI, don't school really well. They are all doing fine, but kinda all over the place. Two stick together, one is on one side, one is on the other, and the last apparently thinks he is a Colombian Blue because he trails along behind them. Go figure. But everyone is happy and seems to have acclimated well. Point of interest, everything I have seen says EBAs don't eat snails. Well, it's not for lack of trying! This one sees one on the top of the gravel and goes after it. Shakes it and drops it. He's trying! I'm gonna try and take some pictures tonight to post tomorrow.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, morphy1701 said:

Point of interest, everything I have seen says EBAs don't eat snails. Well, it's not for lack of trying! This one sees one on the top of the gravel and goes after it. Shakes it and drops it. He's trying! I'm gonna try and take some pictures tonight to post tomorrow.

mine absolutely demolish ramshorns and pest snails. So far leaving a nerite alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, finally have some pics of the fishies. In no particular order: Bristlenose pleco nomming on a pleco wafer (daughter named him(her?) Hot Chocolate becuase he looks like hot chocolate with marshmallows floating in it), my EBA - he is doing great, but such a beggar! No name yet, and the least blurry pic I could get of my bigger Yoyo loach. He literally never stops moving!

20210221_134310.jpg

20210222_191944.jpg

20210222_192113.jpg

• Like 1

Uh-oh looks like you might have some uninvited guests hitch hiking on your Blue Acara. At first I thought it could just be a reflection of the light off the scales but then I saw the white speck on the eye.

It has been far too long since I have dealt with ich, so I will leave the information to @Cory .  Luckily it appears to be mild, so no need to panic

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2021 at 11:59 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Uh-oh looks like you might have some uninvited guests hitch hiking on your Blue Acara. At first I thought it could just be a reflection of the light off the scales but then I saw the white speck on the eye.

It has been far too long since I have dealt with ich, so I will leave the information to @Cory .  Luckily it appears to be mild, so no need to panic

FYI, I checked when I got home last night, just to be sure I hadn't missed something and he is clean. Pretty sure what you are seeing is particulate matter in the tank. IE I had just fed them some flakes and let's just say my tetras are enthusiastic eaters! The EBA doesn't have any spots anywhere on him so we are clear. Thanks for the heads up, though!

• Like 2

On 2/27/2021 at 8:56 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

That's good! Yeah I always hesitate to diagnose things based on pictures because you never have the whole story. I figured you also would have known not to buy a fish riddled with ich.

Better to say something and be wrong then sit in silence and wonder  🤓

Totally agree. Thank you, Sir! And, yes, I freaked out when I looked at the pic after you commented and thought I had just missed it. But, thank goodness, they are all fine!

• Like 1