Bacteria Bloom

Leo2o915

Starred a 40 gallon and grabbed a used sponge filter from my main tank and added it also been using some aquavitro seed which is bacteria in a bottle would that cause a bacteria bloom ? Are they good thing to have or they mean something is wrong? Tested levels nitrate 10 to 15 ammonia and nitrite zero finish the 7 day dose tomorrow 

89072435-59E1-402C-8F47-F35C4AE93F0B.jpeg

I think that's pretty common for a new tank.  Whatever stuff was on the glass and substrate and 'scape no matter how well rinsed will provide some bacteria and food for the bacteria.  it clears up on its own once the normal aquarium biome takes over.  I think there are commercial floculants that clean that up too if you're in a hurry and hate it.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CT_ said:

I think that's pretty common for a new tank.  Whatever stuff was on the glass and substrate and 'scape no matter how well rinsed will provide some bacteria and food for the bacteria.  it clears up on its own once the normal aquarium biome takes over.  I think there are commercial floculants that clean that up too if you're in a hurry and hate it.

Shouldn’t cause a problem though right i added the filter floss from acoop 

8 hours ago, CT_ said:

I agree with this totally. I can't ever remember not having some type of hurdle to get over when starting a new aquarium. I always give myself plenty of time for everything to settle in nicely before I start messing with it. 

Remember, patience is a virtue. 

Bacteria blooms identified by cloudy water often happen when organics in the water creates an explosion of facultative bacteria. It usually passes in a day or two after the excess organics are processed. Then again, cloudy water in a new setup can simply come from fine particles in the substrate that got stirred up when filling the tank. But, in most cases, cloudy water just goes away on it's own.

Edited by MJV Aquatics
spelling
  • Like 1