Any News on Goliad Farms

SixThreeOh

They may be okay. They raise their fish in greenhouses, so I would assume they have heating for the greenhouses. They survived getting clobbered by a hurricane or two, so they likely have generators also. They don't have anything new posted on their forum's blog, but they could be okay. They may be running up a heck of a fuel bill heating the greenhouses, but hopefully they're still doing okay.

I watched their updates on YouTube today... it doesn’t make for great viewing if you love fish 😞 lots of casualties. Let’s just hope that the next few years are disaster free so they can get up and running fully again. He did say he’s planning some blog posts outlining what’s happened and what their plans are moving forward. 

• Like 1

It really sucks that those lines he’s been working on 10+ years have been lost. His video updates over the past few days have really made me appreciate the lifetimes work that some individuals put into the fish that make our hobby. This is a man who’s definitely not in the game to make the big bucks, he’s driven through passion. His knowledge of fish and aquaculture is off the scale. 

• Like 2

Its hard to watch. Ive lost fish i was excited to breed and a whole tank once. But I can't imagine loss like this. 

I hope there are people he can reach out to who kept some fish from him and would be willing to donate back. 

Any other fish farms go in Texas freeze over?

I feel so bad for all the people who lost their farm animals and infrastructure, life's work, and income from this. And for the hobbyists who lost their fish and maybe other pets. Also for all of the wild animals who froze to death. No doubt a lot of horses and other farm animals perished as well. There are so many horses in Texas, not necessarily acclimated to such bitter cold and deep snow.

It was very sad to see the piles of dead fish they had at Goliad. But they're already talking about selling scuds and mystery snails, and what a positive attitude that is!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Aubrey said:

I have to commend the guy. He didn't dramatize his situation at all while doing the walkthroughs. He continued to educate while evaluating everything. Just the facts.

You are so right that was the best part of it I was amazed at how he kept on going doing the teaching thing.  I was in awe.  His push forward ever forward.

• Like 1

What a shame, they are still recovering from the flooding in 2017.

I feel so Lucky, living in South Texas I never hooked up my heater.  When it was 17° outside and I was struggling to keep the temps inside above 65. I was lucky enough to not lose power/water/gas for long period of time. 

I don't have heaters on my tanks so when my water temp hit 60° I did 25% water changes with ~73° water. I only lost 1 female Endler.

So very very Lucky.

19 hours ago, HenryKing said:

Its hard to watch. Ive lost fish i was excited to breed and a whole tank once. But I can't imagine loss like this. 

I hope there are people he can reach out to who kept some fish from him and would be willing to donate back. 

Any other fish farms go in Texas freeze over?

I'm not at all sure there are any other farms in Texas raising tropical fish.  I did some googling, and everything I saw was companies growing and/or selling fish for stocking ponds and lakes.

I’ve just started watching his update videos. I’m amazed how much info I picked up from him during a tragic time. I’m really pulling for him and his fish farm to recover STRONG.

I wish he would do more vids in the future just going through his normal chores at the farm. I watched him service his pump sump and thoroughly enjoyed it for some odd reason.

I’m still blown away he keeps guppies with African cichlids and they don’t get wiped out because they breed like mad.

I lost a show tank once and it was heart breaking. The devastation at Goliad Farms is actually mind numbing and hard to grasp.  The videos are tragic but he has such an amazing attitude. So much to learn from them and I would love to help out if we choose to do something as a CARE community.