Drilling an Anqueon 40 Breeder, is this one tempered?

pedrofisk

After getting this puppy home form the $1/gallon sale awhile back I realized it had this sticker on the bottom. Research from others with the same question would indicate it is not tempered. I can't find an indication one way or the other on the Aqueon website. I am trying to dig up a polarized filter for my camera I know I have somewhere but I was wondering if anyone had seen this label and tried drilling?

386428993_2021-01-3112_00_50.jpg.376ab1d427b29fe5b8f05bd3f5ff1d2d.jpg

• Like 1

There’s a few videos on you tube that can help you figure out which if any of the panels are tempered.
I drilled the back panel two Aqueon 40b and didn’t have any problems. Never seen that label before though but I don’t think that’s definitive either way. 

I used this method to check:

• Like 1

The Aqueon critical dimensions chart states that the 40 breeder does not have a tempered bottom. 
https://www.aqueon.com/-/media/files/aqueon-na/us/set-up-guides/criticaldimensions-pdf.pdf?la=en&hash=AF7701FA47F7AAA8CAC7CF03A84F62F7FC50C2B6

if I may be a bit off topic, why is it called a breeder tank?  Is it because the bottom glass is weak and can’t take hard scape loads?  I do want one, but I want to be sure the bottom can take some load. 

Steve Pituch 

4 hours ago, Steve Pituch said:

The Aqueon critical dimensions chart states that the 40 breeder does not have a tempered bottom. 
https://www.aqueon.com/-/media/files/aqueon-na/us/set-up-guides/criticaldimensions-pdf.pdf?la=en&hash=AF7701FA47F7AAA8CAC7CF03A84F62F7FC50C2B6

if I may be a bit off topic, why is it called a breeder tank?  Is it because the bottom glass is weak and can’t take hard scape loads?  I do want one, but I want to be sure the bottom can take some load. 

Steve Pituch 

Good question Steve, I think the “breeder” term just differentiates it from the 40 long, which is more of a show tank (wider and narrower). Also presumably the more rectangular “40 breeders” could be stacked and made for better rack systems. 

And for sure the bottom will take a hard scape load like any tank would. They’re a great tank size for a variety of scapes and setups. 

Thanks ScottieB for your expertise.  I got 10 1x6x8’s this morning in #2 knotty pine for the base, and started building it.  My problem is that I am in a dead spot in Texas for getting Aqueon tanks. I am located in Hallettsville, which is 2-1/2 hours drive from San Antonio, Austin and Corpus Christi to the west, and Houston to the East. So I need to start calling aquatic stores to find one in stock.  I am sort of in love with the 40 B dimensions, so I’ll keep looking. 
Regards,

Steve