pH randomly crashed in tank with nothing in it?

jaydawnsin

I'm cycling my two tanks right now to prepare for fish. I have no plants, no fish, just a little bit of fish food in the bottom of the tanks to raise ammonia. I've ordered some plants but they're not here yet.

When I put the water in, the pH was 8.2 which didn't surprise me cause I thought we had liquid rock water where I live. I've let it sit for awhile, testing the water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates every few days. I didn't think to continue to test the pH because I haven't heard of it crashing with nothing in it. Well I tested it just now and it dropped from 8.2 to 7.2. This is day fifteen of the tank cycling, I only added fish food three days ago and did a water change last week. Any clues as to why my tank's pH would be crashing? It's a 10 gallon quarantine tank. I have yet to test the 29 gallon for pH but I imagine it's similar.

Edit: The 29 gallon is at 7.2 pH as well.

Edited by JaydenDSin
New information

My pH out of the tap is similar to yours and my pH drops over time as well.  I've got high GH but super low KH which I think contributes to it.  I don't think it's a huge issue unless you are keeping African cichlids after cycling.  I got some crushed coral from aquarium co op to help buffer my water but I haven't put it in yet to see how it impacts things.  

I think the bacteria nitrification process can contribute to acidification while they are getting established. I can't remember what article I read that makes me think that, but it was some primary research literature article--not some internet comment.  This, however, IS some internet comment, so take it with a grain of salt. My memory may be faulty. 🙂