Bladder snail infestation

Geoff kuiken

You can hand pick them. Or get a fish that likes to eat them. I find many of my smaller fish will eat the pest snails and leave the nerites. My puffers will try to take bites of the nerites, so that is not good, but my smaller cichlids (ie rams) just peck the small ones and ignore the moving rocks (aka Nerites). Nerites have an operculum (trap door) that they can close if they are being attacked, which I think deters the less determined fish just enough. 

I hear a dwarf chain loach is a snail eating machine, but I don't know if that applies to nerites.

• Thanks 1

My Yoyo Loaches are very good at snail control. But they would probably eat your Nerite, too. I still have a healthy population of Trumpet snails, though. Mostly because I have two or three big ones that the Yoyo's can't eat and they tend to stay burrowed in the substrate. But they will pick off the small ones and that keeps the population in a good balance. For the record, I am a snail fan, but not to the point that they overload the tank.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Jimycle said:

They make snail traps I believe in varying sizes and I also believe aquarium Co-op sells a snail catcher for unwanted snails

I live in Canada so unfortunately I don’t get a lot of aquarium co ops products.  I can’t even get any medication since Canada banned them.  In one case I ran out of options to treat a parasite so I unfortunately just watched my guppy die over the course of 2 weeks.  

• Sad 2

How big is you nerite snail? With good size, 10 out of 10 i recommend dojo loach. I actually love bladder snails, but so does my dojo loaches. So i breed them in my 2 hob filters and periodically drop them in my tank for extra algae support before they become dojo snacks. My dojos only like the small snails. My mystery snails are never bothered, my mystery snail babies are goners. 

4 minutes ago, Will Billy said:

How big is you nerite snail? With good size, 10 out of 10 i recommend dojo loach. I actually love bladder snails, but so does my dojo loaches. So i breed them in my 2 hob filters and periodically drop them in my tank for extra algae support before they become dojo snacks. My dojos only like the small snails. My mystery snails are never bothered, my mystery snail babies are goners. 

My nerite is probably a little larger then a glass marble.  My bladder snails at the largest are the size of peas.  I’ll definitely look into a dojo loach.  My tank is only 2 months old and I’m a little hesitant on adding more fish.  

5 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

Cory asked a similar question as a survey on YouTube recently. For me, if I have too many snails, it means that I am feeding too much. The snails are not the problem; they are nature's solution for too much food.

I honestly just watched this video like 20 minutes ago lol.  This is great.