Brine shrimp eggs floating

StephenP2003

So while I wait on the co-op to put their magical brine shrimp eggs up for sale, i've been trying different sources from Amazon. Recently, I got what I just assume is a bad batch. For starters, the eggs floated -- I'm used to them sinking, so it struck me as odd. They only moved around with air -- once I stopped aeration, they floated again. I tried three times to get a hatch out of them, and got basically 1% hatch rate. (Note, these were not decapsulated eggs, or at least they weren't supposed to be).  Tried another source over the past two days, getting OK hatch rates from them.

Then, my usual source came through after 11 days in postal service limbo. But tonight, I started a batch with this tried-and-true source, only to find that these eggs float too. .....You'll float too. YOU'LL FLOAT TOO!  Anyways...

Don't know what I'll end up with tomorrow in terms of hatch rate, but is there a reason some batches float? Are they being affected by the heat while they inch along through the currently-crappy postal service?

I don't know if this will help but this is what I do. I always start my air before I add the eggs. So I will turn on the air add salt and baking soda then add my eggs. Most of the eggs begin to tumble but some still float and get stuck to the sides. I will let it bubble away then go back to the hatcher a bit later and use a small pipette to suck some water out of the hatcher and wash the eggs down the sides back into the mix. This has worked for me.  Once the eggs are water logged they should stay submerged for the most part.