bloated and injured guppy

themysticalgoat

Hello, I have a rainbow guppy that i've had for a long time, today i noticed that he was very bloated and his tail had took a lot of damage. I don't know when or how this happened, i watch this tank a lot, it had to have happened last night or something. He's in the tank with two other guppys and one platy. They're all very friendly and have been together for many months so i doubt he was attacked, but idk how else this tail damage could have happened. For the record, i don't know if it's a he or a she, my first guess was that it was pregnant but i doubt it as i've had them for months and there has been no breeding before. About a week ago i introduced new plants, shrimp, and a pleco. I don't have any way to quarantine them so i was wondering if they brought in some disease and what i can do about this. All the other fish seem very healthy. I did used to have another platy that we had for a very long time but he died several weeks ago. But he was getting old and was just a petsmart fish. The tank is cycled and all the paramaters are steady. i keep them at about 76 degrees. Sorry if some of the pictures are flipped, they didn't transfer to my computer very well.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Little update: I have been observing the tank extra hard now, and i have noticed that my platy is going around and being a little nippy. Almost all of my grass had been pulled up from him plucking and trying to eat the plants, which i can now see a lot of stems that got munched on. I think i saw him try and nibble on a shrimp too. I don't think he is normally like this, we've had both plants and shrimp for a week or so now and he's hardly touched them. But seriously almost all my grass had been uprooted by him over the course of like an hour. I wonder if i haven't been feeding him enough. My guess is he took attacked my guppy bad at some point last night or today. The guppy is hurt pretty bad, not only the tail fin but shes missing one of her bottom fins and one of her side ones are damaged. I definitely think shes been attacked now. Unfortunately i have no other home for her, we only have two smaller betta tanks. Any ideas on what i should do?

1 minute ago, quikv6 said:

If there's any way to isolate the guppy, and treat with some aquarium salt, that can really help. Perhaps a small plastic tub as a makeshift hospital tank?

Do you mean i could like put it in like a large tubberware container filled with the aquarium water? and if so would it be best to leave it floating in the tank still as if i was acclimating it, i don't want them to get too cold. But i just checked and saw that our other unheated tanks stay around 74 so i guess it wouldn't matter. My main concern is just leaving him in a smaller container overnight, dont want his ammonia to spike or for him to run out of oxygen in there. Thanks!

43 minutes ago, Colu said:

Its a male guppy  what are your water parameters how long have you had this guppy 

Had it about 3 months at least. pH is 7.5, ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate around 10-20 ppm. Just did a water change yesterday too just out of habit. Those are all the parameters I have the stuff to test for. keep the tank at 75-76 degrees

Unfortunately, the poor guy didn't make it through the night. I think now the plan is to find the platy a new home. We have a more local store that has taken some of our fish before so think they should with him too. Not sure why he's gotten so grumpy lately but can't have him in here any longer. He used to be very playful and friendly with all the guppys, but we had two platy's back then. One died maybe two weeks ago, and i guess now he's getting an attitude idk. Either way he definitely attacked the guppy and i think he's attacked my pleco too. Not to mention eating all my plants which he's never done before. So time for him to find a better home.

• Sad 1