Decreasing temperature for new fish

NickG83

Hi all, I have a 29 gallon planted tank, set up about 18 months now, it’s has a few guppies, 2 nerite snails, 4 amano shrimp and an army of Malaysian trumpet snails, temp set at 77. What I would like to do though is to remove the guppies and replaces them with either white clouds or rice fish, and in the process getting rid of the heater. My question is, would the remaining inhabitants be ok at room temp if I slowly reduce heat over a period of time? I don’t want them to become stressed. Or if I kept the heater, is there a temp everyone would be happy? Thanks for any advice! 

The amano shrimp and snails should do fine in room temperature. You will want to reduce the temperture over time, maybe a degree or two every day instead of all at once. Snails are very tollerent for temperature for the most part. The species Sphincterochila boissieri has been found in egypt at temperatures of 120 degrees farenheit. Of course this genus is land breathing snails so they don't necesarily relate to aquatic snails. All though malaysian trumpet snails are very simmilar where they have been found in the 60 degrees - 80 degrees. 

• Like 1

I removed the heater from one of my tanks that has cherry shrimp, bristle nose plecos, trumpet snails, pygmy corys, and rice fish and they are all doing fine. I didn't step it down or anything, but it was during the warmer months. Even as cold as it is right now the tank doesn't get below 60 degrees. Everything still breeds too, so I guess they're happy.

• Like 1

I don’t know about the nerite snails, because I’ve never kept them. The amanos and trumpet snails would be perfectly fine in my experience. I’ve taken a heater out of their tank before and they seemed perfectly alright. The tank doesn’t go straight cold so I’m sure they adjusted. Even the guppies would be ok. I don’t run a heater with my guppies.

• Like 1