210 tank stand

Fenrir

I am setting up a 210 gallon lake tanganiykan set up the tank is a aqueon flow master with two overflows drilled on the bottom. The tank will be placed on a custom leveled slab in the basement. The stand for the tank for structural purposes I want to make out of cinderblocks and top it with a 2x4 frame that would have a sanded panel of 3/4inch plywood. I am just having an issue with the design though with how I can pipe the sump and make sure I have access to care to the Sump. Can I leave a section of the stand open for access or would that hinder on the tank risking craking? Just need some engineering advice.

What are your tank dimensions?    

I see no issue with an opening front or back.  I would however bump up to a 2x6 frame with 1' on center cross braces. Build the frame 3 inches smaller than the desired dimensions all the way around then slap on another layer of 2x6 around that and screw everything tight.  This will overlap your joints, provide more bearing material on the blocks and make sure nothing moves. (wood gluing your joints and that second layer of 2x6 will also firm everything up).  Glue the plywood to the top and you'll be able to park a garbage truck on it.

Your width of tank will determine how big your opening can be.  The longer the tank the more support on either side of the gap the bigger the gap can be.

2 hours ago, DSH OUTDOORS said:

What are your tank dimensions?    

I see no issue with an opening front or back.  I would however bump up to a 2x6 frame with 1' on center cross braces. Build the frame 3 inches smaller than the desired dimensions all the way around then slap on another layer of 2x6 around that and screw everything tight.  This will overlap your joints, provide more bearing material on the blocks and make sure nothing moves. (wood gluing your joints and that second layer of 2x6 will also firm everything up).  Glue the plywood to the top and you'll be able to park a garbage truck on it.

Your width of tank will determine how big your opening can be.  The longer the tank the more support on either side of the gap the bigger the gap can be.

So the dimensions are 72"x 24"x30" what would be your thoughts then?

16 minutes ago, Fenrir said:

So the dimensions are 72"x 24"x30" what would be your thoughts then?

That is about what I was expecting.  I see no issue with a 24-30 inch opening in the middle.  Just make sure you have cross braces on the edge of your block on either side of the opening.  The gap front to back wont be that wide taking the cinder blocks into effect so the load will be distributed enough.

Good luck, post pictures when done.

I'm off to the local fish store to buy more stuff i dont need. 😃