1828093667_tankfloorplan.jpg.e77cbbb8ebd46ebf0f54efdb83468569.jpg

I would like some feed back on my plans for the 40g tank I'm getting ready to setup, I'm in no hurry and taking my time so I make as few mistakes as possible. getting feed back on my ideas has always been helpful and appreciated and I'm hoping the same happens here.

I included a rough floor plan above for my project. 

the fish I'm interested in keeping:

1. 3x Banjo river loach

2. 4x Kuhli loaches

3. 12 neon tetra/ longfin neon tetra if I can find them

4. few shrimp if I feel my water parameters can support them

my equipment:

Fluval 307, a little concerned it my have to much flow

Aqueon pro 150 titanium heater

looking for the Hygger 60w HG-957 led but may have to settle for the 36w HG-978 do to lack of stock.

I have a 20lb bag of CaribSea Eco-Complete but concerned it could hurt the loaches I was planning on just using it as a base and coving it up with Fluval plant substrate and have not settled on what type of sand to use but leaning on Topfin or CaribSea Super Natural.

the border in the floor plan I'm planning to use crafting mesh and cut it to 2"-3" and silicone it in place and then silicone Dragonstone chips to it.

I do have a piece of wood and several dragon stone pieces to add for decorations and have not decided on particular plants but I would like some with red coloring and some carpeting plants as well.

well that's it, all ideas and opinions on my choices and concepts are welcome - Thank You

Just now, Jason A.

today I stopped at a LFS I don't normally go to and they had some Peacock Gudgeons, I'm now thinking I'd like a few but I don't know enough about them, would they get along with my current selection and if so how many is to many or to few?

I personally never had them but looked them up out of curiosity. They require 15 gallons a piece they are over all peaceful and do better in groups of up to six with your list above I probably wouldn’t do more than two in order to have proper space for everyone. Kinda want one now myself 🤦🏼

A34C5BFD-0A59-450E-9060-0A7B2126A77C.jpg

• Like 1

I've used Caribbean Eco-Complete with Kuhli Loaches and never have had a problem. My new setup is using Fluval Stratum and I love it,  but it is expensive!

Just give your loaches places to hide. I'm currently using Catappa leaves like a tent and they love hiding underneath the leaves, just like the leaf litter in their natural environment.  Rock piles work well too.

20210121_135744.jpg

20210121_191233.jpg

20210121_191915.jpg

Edited by Matt E
  • Like 1

@Jason A. I'm assuming that you're asking because of the jaggedness in Dragonstone.

I've always wanted to use Dragonstone but never have. I have seiryu stone in all my tanks just because it's not as jagged and I personally like the neutral Grey color.

So, I don't know, but I'm sure they will figure it out. I use to have my loaches in my mabuna tank years ago. They would wiggle into the rock pile cracks all the time to hide and not get hurt.

• Like 1