Power outages and winter storms

Maggie

How are fishkeepers in the south managing now without power, water or heat for so long? It seems this could go on for weeks in some places. Does anyone know how long fish can survive in these conditions? How are people even surviving? And now the Mid-Atlantic is going to get slammed with another storm too! 

I had plenty on usb pumps on sponge filters so filtration wasn't aconcern for me but temp was. Especially since my main house heater quit as well. We get 25 or so mins of power every few hours so I ended putting extra heaters in 4 tanks and a little space heater on the shrimp. That got me by until the furnace was fixed yesterday. So far there haven't been any deaths thst ai can see. As long as we continue to get the little power we are getting it should be good. My longest outage was 16 hrs.

• Like 2

I was fortunate enough to make it through the unintended power outage that lasted for over a day with water changes, feed withholding, manual water agitation, wrapping the tank in towels, and placement of heated bags of water into the tank.  Now I am basically having to deal with the rolling blackouts, which have been much more manageable.  I was fortunate enough to have the roads safe enough to run out to Academy yesterday and get my hands on a battery-operated bubbler so I don't have to worry so much about O2 issues.  Temperature-wise, Houston is slowly warming up, so I'm not terribly concerned about it.  I fortunately haven't suffered any losses.

• Like 3