Reticulated hillstream loaches and cherry shrimp?

Nat

I have an unheated 20 gallon long tank nested under my 40 breeder that I want to use for a project tank! 

Are reticulated hillstream loaches viable to breed along with cherry shrimp? What if I add in already hatched celestial pearl danio fry? Would they or the baby shrimp be preyed upon by the loaches? 

Here is how the tank is currently set up, just thin layer of sand, a cholla wood log with epiphyte plants stuffed into it, mos balls, and a sponge filter. I can try to add more moss for cover, it just grows very slowly for me. 

I have just removed the golden white clouds who wouldn’t stop eating their eggs 😓 

I can add more plants/rocks etc too if needed - any suggestions or experience welcomed 😊

C34FFA9C-6C9A-463E-90B7-C90F81ABCCCB.jpeg

I have both in a 20 long with cherry shrimp.  I have yet to breed the loaches but the cherries are breeding.  

To breed the hillstream loaches I would recommend adding good sized stones to form a rock pile. From what I have researched and seen, I think that helps with them.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ryan S. said:

I don't have experience with fry and if the hillstream loaches will prey on them but they don't seem to care about baby shrimp and they don't really pay attention to the other fish in the tank at all.  

Thanks Ryan! I have one loach currently and it doesn’t seem to care about my other fish either. If they turn down baby shrimp, then I’m guessing danio fry would be ok too. 

My cherry shrimp haven’t bothered danio fry once hatched, but I’m sure they enjoy any eggs they find, so I’ll have to get they free swimming before adding them, but seems like it should work reasonably well. 

I’ll look into setting up some rock piles for the loaches 👍 Thanks! 

• Like 1

My Hillstream  Loaches had fry. I have a bunch of them. They have been in my tank for 2 1/2 years. I decided to plant ground cover and within a month bam. I saw tiny things swimming around. They are adorable. They are anywhere from 1/2 to 1 inch now. Their fish mates are three glow fin tetras, 4 gold ring danios, 3 Congo tetra, 2 hillstreem loaches, and mystery snails ( which the fry love riding around on). They don’t seem to be eating or attacking the fry. I’m surprised to see so many sizes