Ms. Fancy Fish

Hello all !! Have a filtration question.  I have a 55 gallon with a tidal 55 and an aquarium co op sponge filter (40gall and up). Was not intending to have more than 3 fancy goldfish but I was gifted a fourth... will this be enough filtration for them?? I have no plants but I have black flourite substrate. I change 50% of water every week. Will this be ok for them?? I am new to this. 

As long as your water parameters goes as follows: 

-Amonia 0

-Nitrites 0

-Nitrates 10-20ppm

The nitrates can be a little higher, but anything above the 0 amonia and nitrites do a waterchange. If you see that the numbers are contiously going higher, upgrade your filtration. What kind of filter media do you have in your tidal? I would reccomend this a watch:

I have never kept goldfish so therefore I don't know what plants goldfish won't touch, but I would reccomend plants to remove some of the nitrates. 

Edited by James Black
  • Like 2

I wouldn’t add any filtration myself, unless water quality goes down quicker than before when tested. 50% weekly water changes should be good though I would think. I used to have 3 goldies in a 50 gallon before I upgraded to a 90 and I absolutely believe I could have gotten away with a 4th in the 50.

• Thanks 1

@Ms. Fancy Fishyou should be fine, just keep an eye on your water parameters. If you were to purchase some plants, like some Anubias Barteri, then they would also help you out as the fish grow and the bio load increases. I do think your filtration is adequate. If you’re consistent with your water changes, I see some gorgeous goldfish in your future. Enjoy! Thank you kindly

• Like 1