Hello everyone

Im glad to be apart of this forum. Im a beginner fish keeper from ohio. I currently have three tanks. A 55g with some java moss that's just starting out. some Helfiyr I probably spelled that wrong. Vallisneria and bolbitis broadleaf. I have a male and female African dwarf frog. Two mystery snails one Ivory one blue a black racer nerite snail. One ghost shrimp it ate the other three shrimp that was blue and red. And three Guppies 1 mail Orange and two female purple. Then I have a 10 gallon setup no filter no air I'm just using it for experimenting with plants. Then I have a 5 gallon setup  I plan on doing red or blue shrimp in it has a filter that is running with micro swordgrass. I have a 20 gallon long that is a terrarium right now with a few different plants some isopods red wigglers that are rogue and some springtails and I plan on transferring when I get a 20 High because the plants are getting too tall. I would like to use the 20 long for the babies if the Guppies have any. I have also started a custom fake rock wall for the 20 long I just have to get some of the hydraulic cement already have the foam shaped and detailed I will add a photo

20210212_105030.jpg

16134876819587121312395207393890.jpg

Edited by Jimycle
spelling
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

Ghost shrimp are carnivores, so it doesn't surprise me that it ate two other shrimp. Those two other red and blue shrimp were Neocaridina shrimp species, which are smaller and easy to breed. What might have happened though is that the other shrimp died and the ghost shrimp scavenged their bodies. 

The guppies you have will breed, and very quickly as well! I don't think it is quite necessary to move the fry, as it is a lot of work to catch them and find them all. I would instead suggest just planting their aquariums very well and add hiding places so that the adults can't eat the fry. Plants to try out are water lettuce (floating plant) and water sprite (quick growing, plenty of cover).

I look forward to see how you stock your aquariums in the future! Good luck!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CorydorasEthan said:

Welcome to the forum!

Ghost shrimp are carnivores, so it doesn't surprise me that it ate two other shrimp. Those two other red and blue shrimp were Neocaridina shrimp species, which are smaller and easy to breed. What might have happened though is that the other shrimp died and the ghost shrimp scavenged their bodies. 

The guppies you have will breed, and very quickly as well! I don't think it is quite necessary to move the fry, as it is a lot of work to catch them and find them all. I would instead suggest just planting their aquariums very well and add hiding places so that the adults can't eat the fry. Plants to try out are water lettuce (floating plant) and water sprite (quick growing, plenty of cover).

I look forward to see how you stock your aquariums in the future! Good luck!

Thanks. Yes I have some water Sprite coming in from the coop now. I plan on moving then because I don't want them cross breeding just yet I want to select a few certain ones and maybe out breed a few times and then return breeding back to the parents. I can't be a hundred percent sure with the shrimp but they were all held up in a somewhat hollowed-out Driftwood stump now the ghost shrimp runs around like it runs tank and even steals blood worms break from the dwarf frogs mouth

• Like 1