Outdoor Tubbing "Falls" Idea?

Fish Folk

Wanting to do a couple more outdoor mini tubs / mini ponds, and inspired by the way some folks set up a pump to deliver water flow, I'd like some  critical feedback on this concept. Each tub is drilled to allow outflow to fall out down to the next. There is an emergency hole on each for potential rain overflow. Each one has a sponge filter going. Pump pull from last tub overflow, and pushes up to the top. Each outflow is covered with some sort of strainer to prevent fish from one to tumble out into the next. What problems do you foresee with this? I'd just set them up as separate tubs, but having the flow / cascade of water provides a lot of positives that just the sponge plus mini pond pump doesn't. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 11.52.34 PM.png

• Like 4

Hello! This is a representative from your big box fish store! Instead, try out our Betta Falls Aquarium Kit for only $49.95! This product comes with a top-of-the-line power filter that can be modified depending on the fish you are keeping! Each section is less than a gallon, leaving plenty of room for a wide assortment of stocking options! We recommend at least one male betta, two goldfish, three plecos, or five guppies per section!

Image result for betta falls

Okay all jokes aside, that looks like a fun project! I don't have any tips, but I look forward to seeing how it progresses!

Edited by CorydorasEthan
  • Haha 9

That looks like a wonderful idea! I like how you have it all planned out like that. If it were me, I wouldn’t even go with sponge filters. The “falls” will provide enough aeration. I would just stick some sponge pads and some other media in the 4th container holding the water pump for the biologicals. That’s just my opinion though. I’ve been riding the “less tech” train lately.

• Like 3

Following this or hopefully I'll find your journal if you decide to go into more detail. I have the same idea, or very similar, to try this spring. I too am still working out the logistics. I'm thinking some combination of four old, large plant pots I have, tilted/leaning just right or with bricks/blocks supporting them to naturally waterfall into the next. Then one very large tub/tank or two that it falls into. Then a pump that brings it back up to the first. Probably have guppies and/or shrimp in the final tank, and maybe some shrimp/snails in the large pots, or just plants.

I also have a similar idea for an indoor waterfalling multi-tank setup similar, but really nothing like, the one @CorydorasEthanposted. But that's a few years down the road I think.

• 1 month later...

@Fish Folk curious if you've made any progress on this project. I've been mia from the forums for a bit, but now that it's warming up I'm planning to setup a similar cascading waterfall pond. 

I'd love your advice or anyone's on what kind of pump to get.

My five minutes of research says a waterfall style pond pump and because it's so small almost any size should work. Not looking to break the bank but want it to last several summers at least.

2 minutes ago, Socqua said:

@Fish Folk curious if you've made any progress on this project. I've been mia from the forums for a bit, but now that it's warming up I'm planning to setup a similar cascading waterfall pond. 

I'd love your advice or anyone's on what kind of pump to get.

My five minutes of research says a waterfall style pond pump and because it's so small almost any size should work. Not looking to break the bank but want it to last several summers at least.

Well... got the bulkhead pieces to create the cascade... got the added tubs... but in the end, I think we’ll just go with 3x separated tubs this year. Kind of busy, and need to set things up without a lot of hassle. Next summer, maybe go with the falls. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Socqua said:

Bummer. As always too many projects too little time. Any advice on pumps? I've searched the forums and have some brands but always appreciate more thoughts!

Nothing really yet. Maybe someone else has tips? There’s a pump @Cory recommend awhile ago for pumping out water into trash cans when doing water changes. Maybe Z. Tazawa mentioned one when discussing his Aquarium maintenance business?  

On 2/16/2021 at 12:00 AM, Fish Folk said:

Pump pull from last tub overflow,

First of all, I love the graphic.  The only suggestion I have would be to add an elbow and lift tube to the intake on the lowest tub, or lower the intake itself.  I would not be comfortable with relying on overflow alone to feed the pump.  The thought being that when the pump quits for any reason, you will have an overflow situation.  When the pump restarts there may not be enough water available to restore the cycle.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Digging up on old post to comment. Are you still planning on setting up the cascase waterfalls? I would route any water from the emergency overflow holes to a collection container to save the water for houseplants.

I am contemplating a major change to my outdoor patio setup next year. I have a few grow boxes for gardening. In my new layout I would have several more grow boxes and tie the water reservoirs together for a central watering system with a float valve to automate it all. The ones I have seen use tap water, but I was going to feed it from a holding tank of my discard from my (manual) water changes for my tanks.

I am considering an outdoor pond, and this cascade idea gives many more options for container sizes and layout. 

• Thanks 1