When to feed newly hatched medaka (Japanese rice fish) fry?

kammaroon

12 minutes ago, Errk25 said:

What about Aquarium Co-op Fry food? Would that be fine? 

I love Aquarium Coop fry food and feed it all the time. Sera Micron and Hikari First Bites are even smaller however, essentially dust powder. So it depends on the fry size.

Most fry can take AC fry food pretty quick as can lots of nano fish. So its great if you have a mix of fry and small adults.  I feed it alot to my Endler colonies.

On 8/21/2020 at 12:50 PM, kammaroon said:

One of my medaka eggs just hatched. My first one and super excited 😄

When shall I start feeding the fry? And any recommendation on type of food?

If this is in an outdoor pond there is probably lots of natural infusoria available for the fry to eat. I supplement that with newly hatched live baby brine shrimp. I also like Sera Micron to dust the surface for the fry. Just a tiny bit will do especially for only one little critter. But chances are that if you've got one you will get more. You may think about separating the fry from the adult rice fish as they do make snacks of the tiny fry. The Co-op fry food makes a great second food for growing out the fry once they put on a little size, it is really easy to feed also. Plus the adult ricefish will take it too.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I have 3 newly hatched ricefish fry today, I was wondering the same thing, and do I need to feed them the first day/how long will the egg sack last? I have aquarium co-op fry food on hand.

Agreed with everything stated above. I’ll add that I also treat my ricefish to hikari (saki) ricefish formula for fry and also a different formula for breeding adults. I’ve had mine shipped from Japan and shipping wasn’t too bad. Try eBay if interested. The packaging is ridiculously cool.