Whos ready for outdoor tubbing season?!?!?!?

FrozenFins

Whos ready for outdoor tubbing season  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ready?

• Yes, favorite season wouldn't miss it.
    • No, wont be setting any outdoor tubs
    • Whats that?

On 3/15/2021 at 2:14 PM, DShelton said:

I just bought one of the rubbermaid 100G stock tanks for my first go with a summer tub in NE Texas. Have not settled yet on livestock as I am a bit worried about summer highs, and being able to keep the water cool enough. Anyone close to my summer temperatures that has any experiences, otherwise it might just turn into a giant plant vat.

This is my first season as well, but I'm trying Rainbow Shiners here in Louisiana. They are native to Alabama and Mississippi so I'm hoping they will be fine with the temperatures. I am running a solar fountain from Amazon that I am hoping will help cool the water a bit in the day. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BM3 said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on tubbing and raccoons? I’d like to give it a try but am a lil worried raccoons will eat all the fish or at least pester them regularly.

Last year I threw together a crude top using plastic mesh screwed into the tub itself, with a small area to open (I kinda made the tub on a whim) and it worked up until about a day before I would take in the fish for the season. I'm guessing a racoon pulled my sponge filter up by the airline and took a good chomp out of it, but as far as I could tell the top held and fish were fine. This year I plan on being more elaborate, framing the tub and making kind of a planter thing, with a hinged top. (Just searched my phone and can't believe I didn't take a pic of it!)

So I got water flowing in it now.

Its on a 1200gph pump which is abit to much, so I slowed it down the best I could. Smallest hose, longer hose, and easing it as high as possible.

Top tub is a 110 and bottom is a 180.

20210324_104158.jpg.bf9486c88f916532e211b516f15fd044.jpg

I did it like this so the water will be suck from the bottom.. it helps with feeding so not all the flake get suck down to the bottom tub to fast.20210324_104145.jpg.df1d085ccbfa303d9f20fbfa9d5e26d8.jpg.

20210324_104134.jpg.aa3411dfc9f9aee9098ae60849f66073.jpg

• Like 2

I have 4 tubs ready to go and am considering moving it to up to 6. My plans so far include: Daisy Ricefish, Whiteclouds. Orange Swordtails, and Guppies. I have endlers, cherry barbs, bloodfin tetras, and danios that could go out as well. Just trying to decide if I want to try that.

I have had no success with egg scatters outside so I am going to try bigger river stones and hope the babies can slide through and hide in there. Hopefully I can stock up on hornwort and guppy grass!