Whos ready for outdoor tubbing season?!?!?!?

FrozenFins

Whos ready for outdoor tubbing season  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ready?

• Yes, favorite season wouldn't miss it.
    • No, wont be setting any outdoor tubs
    • Whats that?

What are some good substrates? 

21 hours ago, GardenStateGoldfish said:

I love summer tubbing! Amazing for my fish and really relaxing to have these little mini ponds around. I highly highly recommend: The Tub Pond Handbook by Dr. Ted Coletti, it was extremely helpful and useful for outdoor tubing. Anyone interest in it I recommend picking it up, I am not sure if I am allowed to share the link or not but you can get it on amazon or whenever you get your books. 

Been looking for more in depth info, thanks for the book tip, just got the ebook version 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Got the greenlight from my wife to start a outdoor tub pond. Going to use the half cut whiskey barrel with a liner. Add some plants and a small pump fountain. Don't think i will filter it but may change my mind as I go along. Still deciding on fish to add but really been thinking medaka ricefish. 

• Like 2

I'm stopping at tractor supply after work either today or tomorrow to pick up my container they have a 25x14ish plastic barrel planter I think it holds just under 25 gallons. I change my mind on fish every other day but am leaning towards  some variety of white clouds right now or maybe CPDs but I don't know how well they'll breed in a tub. As for plants I'm thinking either a dwarf Lilly or tiger lotus, a random assortment of stems and floaters from my tanks. I might try crypts because why not, and I want to find something that will grow up out of the water. 

• Like 2

@ChefConfit if you want something to keep in your tub during the summer that grows up out of it try Dwarf Papyrus, Red Dwarf Canna Lily, Cardinal Flower, or my favorite from when I used to keep deck ponds with White Cloud Mountain Minnows, Mosquito fish and Guppies, which is Black Gamecock Purple Louisiana Iris. Here is a link to a picture of the Iris:

https://www.thepondguy.com/product/blue-gamecock?msclkid=f3b545e1ebc2134a732b25af639f945a&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI) Smart Shopping - Bing&utm_term=4583382956591086&utm_content=All Products

• Like 1

I think I might have the tub bug from you all 😄 I too went to Tractor Supply today and looked at tubs. I saw a plastic half-barrel planter that might hold 12 gallons or so, but they have mucking buckets that hold 17.5 gallons for $19. If I do tubs I think I’ll go with two of those! 😃

Do we have to worry about the fish jumping out of the tubs? I was thinking about trying white clouds.

• Like 1

I'm buying a 30 gallon standalone tub and I bought extra plants from the coop that i plan to add to it when it's warmer. It's very cold still for fish now but now that I have some space, I moved, I want to give it a good try. My family visits often so I'm going to make it look extra good for all of us. haha. 

For those of you stocking live bearers what are you going to do with the population explosion or how are you going to control it?

I picked up a couple of 110s and now I'm trying to decide what species to add, was going to be guppies and endlers but I don't think I could handle hundreds more this fall. I don't think the local store around here would take them.

Edited by Marc

I just bought one of the rubbermaid 100G stock tanks for my first go with a summer tub in NE Texas. Have not settled yet on livestock as I am a bit worried about summer highs, and being able to keep the water cool enough. Anyone close to my summer temperatures that has any experiences, otherwise it might just turn into a giant plant vat.

12 minutes ago, DShelton said:

I just bought one of the rubbermaid 100G stock tanks for my first go with a summer tub in NE Texas. Have not settled yet on livestock as I am a bit worried about summer highs, and being able to keep the water cool enough. Anyone close to my summer temperatures that has any experiences, otherwise it might just turn into a giant plant vat.

I'm in southeast Texas, and this will also be my first time keeping any aquatic life other than goldfish outside.  I'm planning on neocaridina shrimp for sure, and maybe white cloud mountain minnows.  I intend to put it where the tub (or tubs) will be in shade for most of the day, maybe only getting direct sun early in the morning.

That is where I am as well, suburban DFW. The tank (100g) is under my deck cover next to the house, and it only gets a minuscule amount of direct sunlight. I have only had water in the tank for a few days with a large AQ Coop sponge filter and an AP50. I have a bunch of hornwort ordered to go in the tank, and then in a few weeks am going to order some white clouds, and see how it goes. I will have at least a few months outdoors before the heat of the summer.

It is probably not in the hobby, but I found a fish that can really handle the heat!

The Julimes pupfish lives in water that reaches 114 degrees:

PupfishPhotoshopGifsavedforweb.gif?14302

https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/meet-the-world-s-hottest-freshwater-fish

Out of curiosity, I did a little bit of research into chillers, since I have seen them used for Trout in the Classroom programs. They are not cheap! I saw some links to some DIY options, but didn't dig any deeper. You could probably setup a system where water recirculates between an indoor and outdoor system, which might be a fun engineering challenge.

• Like 1

I definitely would like to set one up. We are tearing down half of our deck this summer and I'm try and squeeze in a design to allow a tub or two. only problem is our yard has almost zero shade so would really need to make the design look good with umbrella stands. I would probably try endlers and some kind of ricefish. I don't know if cold water species would do good like I said no shade unless I set up some.

On 3/16/2021 at 7:39 AM, Streetwise said:

It is probably not in the hobby, but I found a fish that can really handle the heat!

The Julimes pupfish lives in water that reaches 114 degrees:

PupfishPhotoshopGifsavedforweb.gif?14302

https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/meet-the-world-s-hottest-freshwater-fish

Out of curiosity, I did a little bit of research into chillers, since I have seen them used for Trout in the Classroom programs. They are not cheap! I saw some links to some DIY options, but didn't dig any deeper. You could probably setup a system where water recirculates between an indoor and outdoor system, which might be a fun engineering challenge.

I know they make a cooling "system" for car drivers. It's basically a cooler with cold water and ice and it gets circulated to a cooling "shirt" could probably do the same concept with a hose sitting in the tub cooling the water and then just replenish the ice every couple of days.