Whos ready for outdoor tubbing season?!?!?!?

FrozenFins

Whos ready for outdoor tubbing season  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ready?

• Yes, favorite season wouldn't miss it.
    • No, wont be setting any outdoor tubs
    • Whats that?

2 minutes ago, ChemBob said:

When do you plan to put the shiners and minnows out?

Shiners — we are thinking once overnight stays above 50-degrees Fahrenheit. 

White Clouds — once overnight stays above 60-degrees Fahrenheit. 

Guppies — once overnight stays above 70-degrees Fahrenheit. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 11:39 PM, Kat_Rigel said:

I really love my outdoor tub. I was very nervous going into it (how could fish possibly survive outdoors?! Oh, wait... they do that worldwide. Lol) Since I live in Northern California, I have benefitted from a year round tubbing "season." Right now I have lots of ricefish growing out in my 29gal mini pond (3rd floor apartment... limited space,) and I have cherry shrimp breeding like crazy as well as a few guppies. Im loving it.

are you using a filter on the ricefish pond? setting one up soon here in charleston, sc

24 minutes ago, Charose said:

are you using a filter on the ricefish pond? setting one up soon here in charleston, sc

No, I just have an airstone going. I do have multiple sponges in there so that they are all ready to go with good bacteria if I set up a new tank. There is a ton of mulm and plant debris at the bottom; I think if I did have a filter, it would have been easily overwhelmed. I am a little concerned that the pond is getting a bit more acidic than I would like, but it's all part of the experiment, right?

I'm going to give it a try, I bought two 110g tubs last fall. I'll probably put one on the front porch and one in the back against the house or shed. I still need to research plants and fish for it, I don't want anything to breed out of control or it isn't coming back in.

Already have a 40 gallon tub with flagfish and a few white clouds. Planning a 100-150 gallon. Still adding flagfish and was thinking about spotted gambusia. I would love some orange medaka ricefish. Can't find them right now though. I really feel for all of yall dealing with the winter storm aftermath. Beautiful sunny Florida allows year round tubbing for the most part. Though the couple hard freezes we did get hurt one of the plants, but it's slowly making a come back.

• Like 1

I'm planning at least one tub, if not two. I have a 150 gallon Rubbermaid that I got last summer cheap I am planning to do either some rice fish or white clouds in, and having a bunch of plants. I also want to get a smaller 30 gallon range one to put on front porch and put a few guppies in. I also plan to put some kind of neocaridina shrimp in each one.

• Like 1

Checked out stock tanks at Tractor Supply today. Lots of sizes, shapes, and varieties in the $25 - $50 range. Have kept just one small, round 15 gal outside last summer. Thinking about up-sizing this year. Very impressed with the indoor tubs Cory has been working on with the new build. Such a great idea! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CT_ said:

Does anyone use half whisky barrels for this?  From what I can tell when dry the staves are loose and they don't hold water.  Do people seal them or is continually adding water until the wood swells and seals up enough?

I have not used them but had a funny thought. The fish would be happy all the time with the wiskey that might leach out into the tank. 🤣

More seriously, I would like to know as well if this has been done with success. 

• Haha 2

I think my ~20 gallon tubs from a box store were meant to fit right inside those half barrels. I've pretty much decided that I will keep my tubs in the basement indefinitely, and do something different. I've realized that they are too big to be easy to move, and I want something easier.

I am thinking of using some of my white five gallon buckets, but I'm starting to research clear buckets or food containers with good handles. Does anyone have a favorite clear container that is easy to carry?

Edited by Streetwise

14 hours ago, CT_ said:

Does anyone use half whisky barrels for this?  From what I can tell when dry the staves are loose and they don't hold water.  Do people seal them or is continually adding water until the wood swells and seals up enough?

I haven't used one, but I believe people often use pond liner inside them to stop leaking.  I don't know if trying to fill them with water, or spraying the inside and outside with a hose will work or not.  I suspect it would depend on how large the gaps are between the staves.

• Thanks 1

I love summer tubbing! Amazing for my fish and really relaxing to have these little mini ponds around. I highly highly recommend: The Tub Pond Handbook by Dr. Ted Coletti, it was extremely helpful and useful for outdoor tubing. Anyone interest in it I recommend picking it up, I am not sure if I am allowed to share the link or not but you can get it on amazon or whenever you get your books. 

• Like 4

I went to the home D today and they had a bunch of half barrels with a note to employees to water the barrels to keep them tight.  Just brought it home and it's water tight so I'm just gonna do it.

I'll be sure to make a panicked post about under water sealant if it springs a leak ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Generally as long as you keep barrels fell of liquid they stay "sealed", so no dripping water. Do note that the barrels will leach compounds into the water as any other wood, and there will be evaporation through the barrel. The water causes the wood to swell causing the seal between the staves. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChemBob said:

Generally as long as you keep barrels fell of liquid they stay "sealed", so no dripping water. Do note that the barrels will leach compounds into the water as any other wood, and there will be evaporation through the barrel. The water causes the wood to swell causing the seal between the staves. 

I figured that'd be the case.  Tanins aren't an issue except for lowering ph right?  I figure I'd throw some crushed coral in there to keep ph stable and call it good.  Anything I should be concerned about?

Edited by CT_

I grew up around repurposed railroad ties that were used for landscaping, which were often sealed with creosote.

This makes me slightly wary about using barrels if their history is unknown. My fear might be unwarranted, but I would just drop in one of those pond liners to be safe, if you want that vintage look.

• Like 1

My 11yr daughter the fish lover in your home wanted more fish. But I told her no, we already have 8 fancies in 55gallon plus 2bettas! Where are we going to put more fish and I don’t want to buy a new tank!! Undaunted, she put out and ad in our community message board by the mail boxes asking if people have unwanted or sick goldfish they want to rehome. 
Well we got a call and they had a barrel fountain with some commons and rosy red minnows. Now we are proud owners of an outside tub! 
Fortunately we live in FL and don’t get freezing temps. The fish seems to have already lived in the barrel more than a few years and seems hardy despite not much care. I suppose previous owners didn’t feed them much so they stayed small and healthy? 
Anyway, here is the set up. 

B53C9DD5-44C0-4E00-9A40-001D6E4CF165.jpeg

5A16A636-3249-45F4-B1FE-DC601B85DD62.jpeg

4EF3AED2-1B56-41DF-9D34-77A2A89D0B05.jpeg

• Like 3