Male Kribensis Swimming Shakily

Sunny Doan

My female Kribensis has passed and my male Krib is acting a bit weird and I’m not sure if I’m just paranoid or if something’s wrong with him. He swims like this a lot and always shaking? I’m not sure how to describe it. I can also see some white scaled that have appeared also do not know what is wrong. Can someone help provide some peace of mind?

C6A9BA61-5261-46B4-A847-6DBD99E74D94.jpeg

69592B61-0715-4B77-B07B-B9C21F963083.jpeg

It looks like he is sloughing his slime coat. I don't know what can cause that? I think it is time to isolate him and start treating him if you can.

Since I don't know what the cause may be I would start with antibiotic/antifungal. Unless he is flashing? If so, then the damage could be self inflicted and maybe an antiparasite med would be better. What are your water parameters, what else is in the tank, and how do the other fish look and act?

6 minutes ago, Brandy said:

It looks like he is sloughing his slime coat. I don't know what can cause that? I think it is time to isolate him and start treating him if you can.

Since I don't know what the cause may be I would start with antibiotic/antifungal. Unless he is flashing? If so, then the damage could be self inflicted and maybe an antiparasite med would be better. What are your water parameters, what else is in the tank, and how do the other fish look and act?

All the other fish seem to be fine. I have 5 long fun danios, a Siamese algae eater, 5 barbatus cories, 4 emerald cories, and a panda Cory that was rescued after having it’s finally chewed off. I could do another water tests today and I’ll post some results. But previously the water has been 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and around 10 nitrates. All the other fish seem to be doing well. Nothing wrong with them at all. 

Check pH too, just in case. But if that were the issue, you would see more than just one fish reacting probably. I have not used salt, but it does seem like it might help? Hopefully someone who has used it can chime in and say whether it should be used with maracyn. 

Admittedly, he needs serious intervention at this point. Whatever you decide to treat with, I would use the full course.

57 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Check pH too, just in case. But if that were the issue, you would see more than just one fish reacting probably. I have not used salt, but it does seem like it might help? Hopefully someone who has used it can chime in and say whether it should be used with maracyn. 

Admittedly, he needs serious intervention at this point. Whatever you decide to treat with, I would use the full course.

Ph is at a 7.0 - 7.2

Could it be Nitrates? Tested again and today’s water parameters were 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, were around 20 - 30 ppm. 20 when I look at the test tube off the paper. And 30 if I place the test tube on the white strip next to the API test kit Nitrate bars. Even though all my other fish are doing fine my Krib could always just be a little more sensitive? Should I still quarantine him? Or should I do a water change on the tank and see things from there. 

I don't think that is remotely unreasonable for a nitrate level. I suspect he has some kind of infection. I feel like with skin and fin issues I usually would treat with maracyn and maybe IchX also, if I suspected fungus. I don't see any weird growths in your pics so I would probably stick with the maracyn first.

23 hours ago, Brandy said:

I don't think that is remotely unreasonable for a nitrate level. I suspect he has some kind of infection. I feel like with skin and fin issues I usually would treat with maracyn and maybe IchX also, if I suspected fungus. I don't see any weird growths in your pics so I would probably stick with the maracyn first.

Okok he's in the tub he's acting completely normal but I am treating with maracyn, will keep you all updated

23 hours ago, Brandy said:

Is there any way to replace his slime coat? I know API Stress Coat has aloe vera and such but i'm not sure if it will help in this situation