Canister filter during power outage

Nana Finopolis

I am so glad I invested in the USB filters from aquarium co-op and sponge filters. During this power outage my fish are all comfy with their filtration and our wood stove is keeping the tanks nice and warm. 

But, I’m wondering how long the bacteria in my canister filters will survive. It’s been over 12 hrs. I’m thinking maybe I should take all the media and sponges out and just set them in the tank. Might be too late already?

I think I’ll unplug them so the don’t start when the power comes back on. I’m worried the water in the canisters could be toxic or something for them. Is that a thing?  I’ve never been out of power this long before.  Good time to get rid of those canisters, I think I’m almost ready just to go with all sponge filters then I don’t have to worry.

You could do your normal cleaning routine on them and then put them in the tank if you're worried.  I think its more likely that some of the bacterial die or go dormant when just sitting in the canister.  There's not enough time for "scary" anaerobes to crop up and start making toxic byproducts. 

• Thanks 1