Gravel vacuum option for small tank

Zorix

Does anyone have a suggestion for a small diameter gravel vacuum for a 2.5 gallon tank?  I have a larger gravel vacuum for my 20 Long but it won't quite reach in this one due to it's size and it would probably suck out most of the water before it got anything from the bottom.  I had a look around Aquarium Coop and some other sites but I'm not seeing anything useful.  A diameter of about an inch maximum would be about right.  Only thing I can think of at the moment is get some large diameter hose but it's not easy to control because they are quite stiff.  Thanks everyone!

Look up "HIRO AQUATICS Nano Aquarium Cleaner Kit/Long Nozzle" on Amazon. It's what I use on my 5 gallons, though I don't use the little squeezy pump; it never seemed to work right. I don't vacuum down into the sand, but I did attach a chop stick to the end with rubber bands; just about an inch or so of the chopstick sticking out. I then use the chopstick to gently swirl the sand's surface but not suck any of the sand itself up. 

• Like 1

I've made something like this. My LFS sells small clear rigid tubing in varies sizes, I believe its for replacement of undergravel filter uplift tubes. I got one in a 1/2" OD and slipped it into some soft silicone tubing. I added a spare primer bulb for starting a siphon. I like using soft silicone tubing for siphoning because of is flexibility and you can easily pinch it to stop or slow the flow.  

• Like 1

Thank you everyone!  I have a sump filter so I can't use sand in this configuration but I'm starting to think sand may be easier to clean.  I'm going to give the HIRO one a try since it's convenient.  The idea that MickS77 has is a neat idea too.  May give that a shot as well.