Prefilter on internal filter

BayCat

Can you take it apart enough to get to the intake vents?  You can cut 1cm strips of coarse filter sponge and cram it behind the vents.  I just did that on my tidal 35 which a lot of people don't like because you "can't prefilter" ( though it is more work than slapping on a coop prefilter to a pickup tube)

Edit: if not you could put the whole thing into a nylon stocking.  Those things stretch quite a bit.

Edited by CT_

1 minute ago, MJV Aquatics said:

Perhaps a media bag or nylon stocking material?

Great idea. Simple. I've probably been overthinking it!

2 minutes ago, Frank said:

What brand and model filter is that? 

If you can't access the slots, from the inside, and put foam against them, you're probably stuck with wrapping something around the outside and securing it with plastic wire ties.

It's an Aqueon Quietflow E Internal filter https://www.aqueon.com/products/filtration-media/quietflow-e-internal-power-filters

Thought it was a good quiet option in our living room but debating just changing to a sponge filter.

• 2 years later...

Thank you for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing, as we have the exact model filter.

We plan to ziptie a prefilter pad to the intake (too lazy to take it apart).

We attached a baffle (photo below) 20230830_122650-COLLAGE.jpg.49765442aa1de1c150a4c539bc63f1b6.jpgto the outflow so the shrp won't be blown around so much.

Then we will wrap the entire thing in a black nylon sock to make it less obtrusive.

Thanks for all the ideas!