Re-homing a large fish

Rhonda

I hope this is an ok post, I'm not trying to sell or give away, I just need advice on how to go about re-homing one of my pets.😥  7 years ago, I decided to get an aquarium.  I had grown up with 10 gallon tanks with guppies and swordtails.  I researched tanks and water parameters, but stupidly, NOT the fish.  On advice of the store, I got a pleco that would "only grow to 4-5 inches".  So now at 9 inches long in a 45 gallon tank,  I think he's killing my other fish.  He's not eating them, but by the amount of waste he produces.  Is there a large fish rescue that anyone is aware of that can help? 

Craigslist can be a place to re-home fish as well. Often in the community section under pets I see fish to be rehomed or even "wanted." 

If you explained the situation in a post there you may have someone come along willing to take the fish. 

53 minutes ago, Rhonda said:

So now at 9 inches long in a 45 gallon tank,  I think he's killing my other fish.  He's not eating them, but by the amount of waste he produces.  Is there a large fish rescue that anyone is aware of that can help? 

My 4-5" pleco became a 16" pleco in a 29 gallon for most of it's life, and later moved to a 75.  I don't think they ever bother the other fish except when they vacuum all of the food from the water surface at feeding time. That coil of rope from the aft compartment can be disturbing.  There is at least one fish rescue video on YT.  I believe they are in Ohio.  They might be able to point you in the right direction.  The Craigslist and LFS mentioned above are better ideas

9 minutes ago, Tanked said:

My 4-5" pleco became a 16" pleco in a 29 gallon for most of it's life, and later moved to a 75.  I don't think they ever bother the other fish except when they vacuum all of the food from the water surface at feeding time. That coil of rope from the aft compartment can be disturbing.  There is at least one fish rescue video on YT.  I believe they are in Ohio.  They might be able to point you in the right direction.  The Craigslist and LFS mentioned above are better ideas

He doesn't bother my other fish at all, doesn't even eat the same food.  He just hangs out in his jacuzzi (bubbles), munches his algae wafers and occasionally dislodges a plant.  "Coil of rope from the aft side...LOL!!!"  unfortunately that's the problem.  

• Like 1