Peppered Corys with Swim Bladder issues

McFuzzy

I purchased 5 peppered corys from PetSmart yesterday, and put them in my QT tank.  My QT tank is a 10 gallon with an appropriately sized sponge filter and 50 watt heater, a medium pebble substrate, and some weighted small java fern for some cover.  It had just been tested at a pH of 7.4, Ammonia 0.0, Nitrite 0.0, Nitrate >5.0, KH 3 degrees, GH 7 degrees. It was recently home to 4 male guppies to keep it cycled who are now at home in another 10 gallon tank of guppies and doing well.  Once I had acclimated the corys and put them in my QT tank, I added one packet of API General Cure, one packet of Mardel Maracyn, and 1 tsp of Ich-X as per the Aquarium Co-op QT procedure.  Not even 24 hours later, all are showing signs of swim bladder issues.  Two swim vertically next to the glass by the stream of bubbles coming from the sponge filter.  Two more float on their backs, lying still in the water until disturbed.  The last one floats on its side, and also lies motionless until disturbed.  Once they are disturbed, they will swim to the bottom and sometimes stay there for awhile, but will eventually go back to the same behaviors.  I haven't fed them, and wasn't planning to for at least the first 4 days, also as per the QT procedure.  Does anybody have any similar experiences or suggestions?

Edited by McFuzzy

I think something else is going on it could a reaction to the meds or something could have got in to the water such as air freshener or something else I would do a 50%water change  see it they improve  it highly unlikely that swim bladder would have happened to all of them at the same time @McFuzzy

The 50% water change saved the day.  All the corys are now behaving normally.  However, I believe the Maracyn may have crashed my cycle as I now have gray cloudy water and Ammonia testing at just under .25ppm.  Looks like they are in for a long ride while the tank gets cycled again.  I have a large sponge filter I use in my Convict Cichlid tank that I may borrow for now `to speed up the process.

• 10 months later...

Hi, I had the same problem. I'm so glad I found another topic regarding this issue. My tank parameters seemed fine as well but  when I added the trio, my nitrites went up. The same thing happened to me, did plently water change for a few days, and now they're back to normal. 

According to my reading, when stressed corydoras gulp a lot of air sometimes too much that it makes them float. So you're right, all three meds were too stressful for them. My problem now is how do I quarantine my peppered cories? How did you quarantine yours? I'm also thinking, even after I quarantine these guys... and then in the future when there's an outbreak in the main tank where they will be in... how will they handle the meds???

How did you quarantine your peppered cories after your incident? Thanks!

One thing you could do is stagger the med's if you have the tank space and time. I believed Cory has talked about this in different livestreams. I have done this where one week I treat one med and then wait/rest a week and treat another med on week 3. If my memory is correct, the reason they treat all three at once is because the co-op needs to be able to have reasonable turnover and 6 weeks of QT would not be very practical for a business.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2022 at 1:55 PM, Dancing Matt said:

One thing you could do is stagger the med's if you have the tank space and time. I believed Cory has talked about this in different livestreams. I have done this where one week I treat one med and then wait/rest a week and treat another med on week 3. If my memory is correct, the reason they treat all three at once is because the co-op needs to be able to have reasonable turnover and 6 weeks of QT would not be very practical for a business.

Hi Dancing Matt. So I was hesitant to medicate the peppered cories again but I felt like I needed to before introducing them to the main tank. I just did Paracleane today and was planning to follow the box instead of the 7 day method. Which method worked for you?

hi

On 1/6/2022 at 5:30 PM, msapphire012 said:

Hi, I had the same problem. I'm so glad I found another topic regarding this issue. My tank parameters seemed fine as well but  when I added the trio, my nitrites went up. The same thing happened to me, did plently water change for a few days, and now they're back to normal. 

According to my reading, when stressed corydoras gulp a lot of air sometimes too much that it makes them float. So you're right, all three meds were too stressful for them. My problem now is how do I quarantine my peppered cories? How did you quarantine yours? I'm also thinking, even after I quarantine these guys... and then in the future when there's an outbreak in the main tank where they will be in... how will they handle the meds???

How did you quarantine your peppered cories after your incident? Thanks!

me to my floats and then gulps air until it starts swimming vertica an floating any cure my are peppered corys