Breeding Box Question

Arc

I am looking at the Fluval Hang-On Breeding Box to stuff an bunch of plants in behind my tank.  I am wondering if anyone has had success introducing water into them without an airhose?  I don't have an air pump connected to this tank now and prefer to keep it that way for the noise.  Also, the intake with air attachment is pretty ugly (IMHO).  I don't have a higher water volume to fill it by natural siphon (I think) but was thinking of maybe a micro submersible.  Looking for inspiration!!  Any other ideas welcome (as long as it will pass my wife's "it can't look bad" test).

61NAbLbIrvL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

61ItM3CZoWL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Hmm... I’ve seen this breeder box, but haven’t used it before. With a pump, you want to be sure outflow can keep up with inflow, or you’re going to get all wet. 

Is there some reason why plants won’t work _in_ your tank itself? Or are you trying to grow emmersed plants? 

• Like 1

Very true on the output flow; never thought of that.

Going outside mainly aesthetic.  Trying to build height upwards.  I want rooted-in-water plants without having the roots right in my tank.

Another idea I was playing with is a fancier railing planter, cutting holes in the bottom of one side and making it work like a sump somehow.  Intake and output from the bottom.  Weight also has to be considered. 

Capture.JPG

I use a box almost exactly like that. I can’t help you with the ugly intake tube, but I use it with a co-op nano air pump and I can say they are soooooooo quiet. Almost silent. You will not hear at all it unless you’re right next to it or it’s hitting against something. I definitely recommend it!

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/air-pumps/products/usb-nano-air-pump

The Marina/Fluval boxes are made with overflows, so unless you go with an enormous pump you shouldn't have an issue. There is a breeder box with a water pump pre-attached made by Finnex. It's a bit more expensive ($30-ish), but it might be just what you want. If you Google "Finnex External Refugium Hang On Breeder Box" you should find it for sale.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hobbit said:

I use a box almost exactly like that. I can’t help you with the ugly intake tube, but I use it with a co-op nano air pump and I can say they are soooooooo quiet. Almost silent. You will not hear at all it unless you’re right next to it or it’s hitting against something. I definitely recommend it!

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collections/air-pumps/products/usb-nano-air-pump

I have one of those air pumps.  It is what I will use if I go that route.  I will also put it on a timer to shut down overnight.

• Like 1