Floating plant suggestions

TheDojoMojo

Frogbit is good.  I use it in both my aquarium and pond. 

Floating hornwort works great for nitrates. 

I hate duckweed cause of how small it is and how it gets everywheverywhere.

That's the extent of my knowledge so far. Good luck!

• Like 1

Avoid duckweed. Once its in a tank it nearly impossible to get rid of.

Dwarf salvinia is my go to floating plant for my tanks. Super easy to grow, doesn't need any special conditions, has roots that stay relatively short and don't get broken off in flowing water. 

After dwarf salvinia I like frogbit as another easy to grow floater, tiger frogbit if you want an interesting pattern on your floaters. 

Red root floaters are nice if you have good lighting and want a bit more pop of color, but I actually found in tanks that already had a bunch of bright, warm colored fish, that the red root floaters were kind of detracting from the fish. Now in a tank with predominantly blue/green/purple fish? I plan to try them again.

Water lettuce is nice if you have low flow and want long, dangly roots. They were a favorite of my dojo loaches who likes to wriggle their way into the roots and hang in them like hammocks. 

Water lettuce is my easiest. Red root floaters are the most beautiful.

I have grown water lettuce small, so that it looks like giant blue-green duck weed, and big so that it makes a "lettuce". I can personally attest that the "dwarf" version is just immature. You can easily make them behave as either form.

Red root floaters tho want really low surface agitation in my experience. And none of them like lids. They are all prolific, and require regular thinning.  Because of that, they can be a headache. Scoop and discard often.

• Like 1

I have Red root floaters, salvinia, Azolla, and often throw duckweed in this tank but it's as a snack and never lasts long.

Brandy is right though, this tank is uncovered, with low flow and a light directly above it, leaving the other half of the tank fairly dark for java fern. I do love the way red root floaters look in a tank. VideoCapture_20200819-160025.jpg.fc0910078576708e8081b40eb97dcc81.jpg

On 8/21/2020 at 2:45 AM, Lynze said:

I have Red root floaters, salvinia, Azolla, and often throw duckweed in this tank but it's as a snack and never lasts long.

Brandy is right though, this tank is uncovered, with low flow and a light directly above it, leaving the other half of the tank fairly dark for java fern. I do love the way red root floaters look in a tank. VideoCapture_20200819-160025.jpg.fc0910078576708e8081b40eb97dcc81.jpg

How long do the red root floater roots get? They look great! I have some frogbit but I don't really like how long they grow into the tank. 

2 minutes ago, Drew Loika said:

Hopefully this isn't too much of a hijack? For the recommendations above, is there some top recommended vendors? So far I've bought everything from Aquarium Co-Op but they don't appear to carry floaters. 

Ebay or etsy.

Just now, Drew Loika said:

As for the original topic, do any of these thrive in high-flow tanks? (High-flow for a planted community tank, not a river tank or something.) 

No floater likes to be bashed around. Small stuff like duckweed or azola might tolerate it the most. If you have high flow or lots of surface agitation, one trick is to put a "feeding ring" (floating hoop made of airline) in the tank in the corner farthest from the flow, and make a little floater island. I also have some large water lettuces and I don't like them flying around the tank. I anchored them in a corner with a loop of fishing line and some tape on the rim of the tank.

• Thanks 1