29 Gallon Hardwater Stocking Ideas

Prochaska

Looking for some suggestions on what I could stock this tank with?

I've been leaning towards brackish with a figure 8 puffer and maybe a goby or two, but I'm really liking these plants and I'm not sure if they will survive the acclimation. 

So I am curious what kind of sorta exotic freshwater hardwater fish y'all have in mind, I have guppies and mollies in other tanks (obviously not "exotic")  so I am not looking down the livebearer path. There are some awesome nook and crannies in here for caves, so maybe some Rams or Badis maybe?

Thank you for any and all advice or stocking ideas!

29 Hardwater.jpg

Edited by Prochaska

1 minute ago, Garren said:

I personally would go with Rams. 

Nice setup on the tank looks really cool. Like the rocks you have. What are they? 

I think a black background would really make the tank pop. 

Thank you, I really appreciate the compliment! I've been thinking a black or dark blue/green back ground if I went brackish to imitate an estuary. Those rocks are Texas Holey Rock or Honeycomb Limestone, I'm sure there are a dozen other names but its a common buffer rock for cichlid tanks when you need a higher pH or hardness.  

• Thanks 1

You’ll have to experiment with what fish really love the high mineral level. You should seriously consider a single species Yellow Labidochromus tank. They’ll adore the holey rock, and that’s one African Cichlid that always sells to LFS. Males and females are both bright, electric yellow. Put a black or ocean-blue background on that 29 gal... lovely!! 

29BBDAFC-3D7C-4A37-AD12-664363974AFF.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fish Folk said:

You’ll have to experiment with what fish really love the high mineral level. You should seriously consider a single species Yellow Labidochromus tank. They’ll adore the holey rock, and that’s one African Cichlid that always sells to LFS. Males and females are both bright, electric yellow. Put a black or ocean-blue background on that 29 gal... lovely!! 

29BBDAFC-3D7C-4A37-AD12-664363974AFF.jpeg

The only African Cichlids I've kept are dwarf multies, outside of a couple smaller lake Tang cichlids I didn't think any could fit in anything <75 gallons, yellow labs would work you think?

• Like 1

Just now, Prochaska said:

yellow labs would work you think?

(Others will disagree) I would personally be Ok giving Labs a try. Not too many. They’ll make more. Keep it well-filtered. Yes, if they’re in a 75 gal, they’ll grow larger. Buy young ones. See 55gal below. We started with young ones a couple years back. Lots of babies now! 

5F279348-FFF2-41D2-836D-8E97F10DFB25.jpeg

12F22BD7-B1FC-4F5D-B0AB-A3E4B5120D2A.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Prochaska said:

Looking for some suggestions on what I could stock this tank with?

I've been leaning towards brackish with a figure 8 puffer and maybe a goby or two, but I'm really liking these plants and I'm not sure if they will survive the acclimation. 

So I am curious what kind of sorta exotic freshwater hardwater fish y'all have in mind, I have guppies and mollies in other tanks (obviously not "exotic")  so I am not looking down the livebearer path. There are some awesome nook and crannies in here for caves, so maybe some Rams or Badis maybe?

Thank you for any and all advice or stocking ideas!

29 Hardwater.jpg

I would go with some kinda chiclid like and electric blue ram or a electric yellow chiclid

I think a puffer in that tank would look great! In particular I was thinking of the Potato Puffer or if your willing to drop a few extra dollars the Shoutdeni Puffer would look great, or just a shoal of pea puffers.

Just promise me one thing, if you get the Potato Puffer name it Ruffels, like the Potato chip company.

@Fish Folk has some great ideas with the yelllow labs, they would look awesome in that tank as well.

• Like 2