How to Use the Forum - Tutorials and Guides

• Administrators

This is a post to highlight some of the key functions of the forum and how to use them. If you have any questions about anything, be sure to check here first before posting a topic about it as there will likely be an answer for you here.

Feel free to send me a message anytime (top right corner, mail icon) if you would like to ask a questions specifically. I am up to date with my inbox.

442514591_messagesforum.PNG.0eb2a356f036a186203c79c1b4576e42.PNG

Otherwise, see below for some walk-throughs. You may ask questions on this post as well if it's something that will benefit the forum community. This will be updated, so please ask away if there is anything you are confused about - I'll get it posted here for everyone's reference!

• Administrators

Uploading attachments to a topic or reply:

ezgif-7-6c09513cc526.gif.2fc965efab925da9f03d73ab4fe31716.gif

1. Click on ‘choose files’ text link or drag and drop your desired media.
  2. See Accepted file types - files must be gif, jpeg, jpe, png or jpg with a specified max upload size. Your file will not upload if it does not meet these specs.
  3. Once uploaded, click or tap the photo and it will populate into your post.
  4. Double-click to resize if desired.
  5. Complete your post and click submit when done.

If you already have media uploaded (from another post for example), you can also click the ‘Other Media’ button to add your previously uploaded content. This is instead of re-uploading the same media again.

You can view all your uploaded media under ‘My Attachments’ from the top right-hand corner menu under your profile name.

1579978457_profileattachmentsforum.PNG.06537ec48b9091b7a9873988fcd5fe26.PNG  1563626752_attachmentsforum.PNG.8864c4b643924d835cb05ebf150f9f6c.PNG

If you change your mind or upload the wrong media by mistake, simply delete it using the trash can button saying ‘Remove this attachment’.

2019916041_removeattachmentforum.PNG.4fa69d5b984c02d08dfcabd6389dd53d.PNG

• Administrators

Reacting to and quoting posts:

To like or react to a post, go to the bottom right-hand corner of the post and hover over the heart icon. A few other reactions will appear. Just select the one you'd like. Keep in mind, reactions are like currency here, there is a limited amount per user per day. We want to keep them meaningful, please use them accordingly.

1655908963_likecontentforum.PNG.a8ccfe4012697e2994c113dc78d1861f.PNG

To quote a post in your reply, use the quote button at the bottom left-hand corner of the post. Once you click this button, you will be taken to the bottom of the thread where the quoted post will be placed in your reply. Just type your response below the quoted post and submit when done.

1223704308_quotecontentforum.PNG.345cd900ff01f832ec2c3298a285a7c7.PNG

2118887503_quotedcontentforum.PNG.128a5b5e8b8a62f89620bb4d4995709e.PNG

• Administrators

Uploading a video to a post:

2 minute walk-through on uploading a video via YouTube and embedding it into a post on the forum. I've seen most people do videos this way as I believe it's the fastest and easiest way to share videos. I do have narration over the tutorial so if you choose to listen, just turn up your audio 🙂 

Video files cannot be uploaded directly to CARE as the file type is not supported and would be too large - links allow content to be stored on another platform and shared here so our forum does not get bogged down with heavy content.

The alternative is to convert your video file to a gif using 3rd party software either on your browser or via downloaded software. Gif files can be uploaded directly and will play on continuous loop within your post. Lower quality, but another option nonetheless.

Thank you, Lizzie. I did all of that right,  except the very last step.  I tried adding it by using the "other media", then the "insert image from url". Now I know to just add it in the editor.

These posts are super helpful. Thank you for your time! 

Alesha

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lizzie, I'm having a terrible time posting. I even tried to send you a message but it won't work. I can post to a thread that is already in the works but can't start one of my own. I can't send you a message. Every time I try the title line goes pink with an error message above it saying to fix it. I've tried everything I can think of. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Robin

• Administrators

@Robin Hi Robin, no worries at all - I'm sorry you're getting so many errors! I saw a couple topics from you in the past week, is this something that has just been happening recently? Maybe update your browser try or using a different one to see if you're still seeing the same problem.

If you could send a quick screenshot of the error you're getting when you try to start a topic or send a message, that would be very helpful.

25 minutes ago, Lizzie Block said:

@Robin Hi Robin, no worries at all - I'm sorry you're getting so many errors! I saw a couple topics from you in the past week, is this something that has just been happening recently? Maybe update your browser try or using a different one to see if you're still seeing the same problem.

If you could send a quick screenshot of the error you're getting when you try to start a topic or send a message, that would be very helpful.

I checked Firefox and it's up to date. I tried to log on with Edge but I don't remember the password, when I tried to get it to fix that it was like it didn't recognize my email but I know that's the right one because it's the one I get all my alerts for the forums to. I tried to send a message and took a pic of the error so here it is. Believe me I did put in a title.

Robin

error message.jpg

43 minutes ago, Robin said:

Lizzie, I'm having a terrible time posting. I even tried to send you a message but it won't work. I can post to a thread that is already in the works but can't start one of my own. I can't send you a message. Every time I try the title line goes pink with an error message above it saying to fix it. I've tried everything I can think of. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Robin

Robin, we've all been having trouble starting a new thread today. @Cory suggested it could be the forum platform having issues, rather that just our forum. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, akconklin said:

Robin, we've all been having trouble starting a new thread today. @Cory suggested it could be the forum platform having issues, rather that just our forum. 

Thank you. I've been having trouble for a couple days and thought I was the only one and it was bugging me trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Thanks again.

• Like 1

• Administrators

It looks like my software developers who are customizing this theme, broke the new posting somehow, so changing to ACO will fix it for now and I hope they fix it today or tomorrow. It's a holiday weekend so not sure how fast it'll get remedied yet. Thanks for figuring it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
19 minutes ago, GayleA said:

I have pictures on my computer and phone. What app is appropriate to use?

Hey @GayleA if you have a PC, a super easy way to shrink down a photo is in MS paint (throwback, I know) right click on the photo, open with and select paint. The 'resize' button is in the top menu. Same thing can be done in Word using the 'compress images' button in the picture format menu and then right click, select 'save image as' and just save to your computer. Any major photo processing software will do the same, Lightroom, Photoshop and Gimp for example.

If you want to do it on your phone, you can use any app that will 'compress' a photo. Google Play store or the App store both have lots of apps that do this. Should be a quick download and can be used in the future if you need to resize photos again. 

Let me know if there is anything in there that I need to explain better 🙂