Have You Ever Noticed...

Alesha

17 hours ago, Streetwise said:

Since you mention cilantro, I have to ask if you have ever heard of the concept of aΒ supertaster. I know a couple of people for whom cilantro tastes like soap.

@StreetwiseΒ - very interesting read. I doubt that I'm a supertaster, as I don't have problems with about half the list they mentioned. There are things that I can taste that my husband can't. For example: if a restaurant has food cases or pantries where they keep their baking ingredients built of wood - particularly strong-smelling wood like cedar - I can't eat the food there. It tastes like wood to me. There's a well-known deli in Orlando that is known for the their fantastic carrot cake. To me, it tastes like lumber. It's very frustrating. But it keeps me on my diet plan!!!Β 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

My duckweed does not smell like cilantro, especially when smelled right after... cilantro.

I've read when cooked it tastes like spinach... have yet to confirm that one πŸ™‚

I'll have to do a smell taste when my cilantro sprouts in the garden this spring!!! Not gonna taste it, though. I'm just not that inquisitive. πŸ˜‰Β 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brandy said:

@lefty o, What, you are going to tell me you have never been armpit deep in an aquarium, then forgotten and swiped the hair out of your face with an arm covered in duckweed?! Pshhh, and you call yourself an aquarist.

I don't have duckweed so I can't say I have.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Oh, its coming. Just wait...when you least expect it...<<insert Jaws theme here>>

I have been inspectingΒ plants form my lfs and whenever I see it I take it out and feed it to my large pearl danios who apparently love it

Edited by quirkylemon103
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, quirkylemon103 said:

I don't have duckweed so I can't say I have.

me either. after25+ years of aquariums, and having tried to grow that stuff, i cant get duckweed to take off in my tanks. nor do i have much hair! LOL

Edited by lefty o
  • Haha 2

I avoid duckweed like the plague because it will cover an entire tank in days. Not a fan of having to fish buckets of it out of a tank. Had some in a tank a few years back. If i want a floater I might use some water lettuce, or Amazon frogbit but not duckweed, or water hyacinth for that matterΒ  they reproduce too fast and the water hyacinth requires cutting the connections between plants unless you want to have a solid mat covering your tank. Used to have some of those years ago too but won't ever again, although they do have nice flowers.

Edited by Jungle Fan
typo
  • Like 1

I only a couple of months ago got duckweed, which I had been wanting for YEARS. I'm really happy with it, but can't say I've noticed it smelling like cilantro. Can't say I've sniffed it, though, so... LOL I have it in all 3 of my tanks plus my little jarrarium. I don't mind fishing some out once a week or so to keep it from taking over. I hope in the near future to set up an outdoor pond-tub with at least one goldfish (will figure that out when I set on a size for the tub). I know they love to munch on duckweed, so I know what I pull out of my other tanks can be tossed into the tub when time comes. πŸ™‚

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 5:04 PM, Streetwise said:

Since you mention cilantro, I have to ask if you have ever heard of the concept of aΒ supertaster. I know a couple of people for whom cilantro tastes like soap.

I have to admit I never fully understood that distinction. Like, of course cilantro tastes a little like soap, just like basil, that's why it'sΒ so delicious with acidic foods like tomatoes and peppers, a little alkalinity to counter acidity. It's kind of like once you realize rootbeer tastes a little like toothpaste, you can't untaste it. But I guess that flavor can be so overwhelming or disturbingΒ to some people that they don't like it at all.

Me, I can't imagine life without that fresh green flavor, which I imagine duckweed also partakes of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Taco Playz said:

I've never heard that well time to stick my head in my tanks and start smelling.Β πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

My whitewater rafting guide said "If you don't remember anything else I said today, remember this: drink water, breath air, don't get them confused!"Β 

It may apply hereπŸ™ƒ.

• Haha 1