Netting fish safely

quikv6

Quick question.....Is it safe to net multiple small fish together all at once?

I am going to be upgrading tanks, and the new tank (125 gal) will go where the current tank (75 gal) is now. I probably have 70-80 fish that I'll have to net out. Most are juvenile mollies and platies. Netting them individually takes forever, plus I can see it being stressful for the fish. I was thinking of just sticking an algae wafer to the glass and netting a bunch at once during their frenzy.

Any thoughts on best approach? Thanks in advance.

I have never had an issue netting multiples together. I worked pet stores for about 4 or 5 years in my youth, and have netted young fish multiple times when selling/moving/etc. As long as you don't net so many that the ones on the bottom are getting crushed it should be fine.

• Like 1

The only thing I might say in addition to Cory's video is that I have found using a second net is much more efficient than using your hand. This keeps your hand dry for one, but also fish are less afraid of a slow moving net than they are of a hand. 

Another thing to remember when choosing a net is the type of fish you are catching. Coarse nets are fine for most tetras, live-bearers, barbs. Fish with spiny fins though, like synodontis, corydoras, many cichlids, and plecos will benefit from a fine mesh that is tight enough that their fins don't poke through.

• Like 3

Great advice...thanks to all. I had remembered watching that video in the past, but I don't recall it touching on the multiple fish scenario. I'm really glad that it should be okay to do so. That'll make it a tad easier, although it never seems easy moving fish and tanks around!

Thanks again.

3 hours ago, quikv6 said:

Quick question.....Is it safe to net multiple small fish together all at once?

I am going to be upgrading tanks, and the new tank (125 gal) will go where the current tank (75 gal) is now. I probably have 70-80 fish that I'll have to net out. Most are juvenile mollies and platies. Netting them individually takes forever, plus I can see it being stressful for the fish. I was thinking of just sticking an algae wafer to the glass and netting a bunch at once during their frenzy.

Any thoughts on best approach? Thanks in advance.

I really don't like using nets for capturing small fish, most times.  Usually, I just easily cup the smaller ones out at feeding time, with a plastic cup.  The fish think they are going to be fed and swarm to the top (for the ones that will come up).  It's almost too easy for me, lol.  For the bottom feeders, here is where I will use the net and place some food inside & slowly lift it upwards.  

• Like 1

That's a great suggestion. I have a nice sized pyrex measuring cup with a handle. I think that may work great, provided the fish are distracted with some food. The young platies can be really quick, so I'd have to sneak up on them, but Id have to do that with the net regardless.